best breed for me

Help Support CattleToday:

trappersteve

Reaction score
I have been doing some research on the hereford breed and am finding out that they have a few health problems (prolapses, eyes) . I have a hereford and Angus heifers and was wondering if problems were just isolated or with most hereford? And if I were to pick a breed what would it be? Although im very fond of herefords is Angus better or worse as far as health?

I live in VA so extreme weather is not an issue. Most people around here have Angus and Angus cross herds. And although black hides bring a penny or 2more. I love the looks of hereford cattle.

What are yalls thoughts on this, or am I overthinking this?

trappersteve":owe2hic5 said:
I have been doing some research on the hereford breed and am finding out that they have a few health problems (prolapses, eyes) . I have a hereford and Angus heifers and was wondering if problems were just isolated or with most hereford? And if I were to pick a breed what would it be? Although im very fond of herefords is Angus better or worse as far as health?

I live in VA so extreme weather is not an issue. Most people around here have Angus and Angus cross herds. And although black hides bring a penny or 2more. I love the looks of hereford cattle.

What are yalls thoughts on this, or am I overthinking this?

If you have cattle just because you enjoy them by all means raise the herefords. They "Are" what you like.

Nothing wrong with Hereford cattle. You can have a herd of Hereford cows and a black angus bull, or mixing up the herd with different breeds.

Both breeds of cattle do well in Va. There are some excellent herds of each around. the Angus/Hereford also is a great cross.

fitz

Nothing wrong with Herefords at all, I have often said if I was just starting out and was going to have all one breed it would be Herefords. You can use a brangus,angus,Charolais,limousin,gelbvieh,ect bulls with them and have good calves.and Hereford cows can genrally be bought a little cheaper than equal quality black cows.

The breeder is more important than the breed. A reputable breeder will not reproduce the problems you mentioned.

We could list weaknesses of every breed. Black cattle don't take the heat as well, since they absorb more solar radiation. The red angus breeders eliminated that defect, but the black angus breeders are still working on it.

http://www.cattletoday.com/archive/2007 ... 1033.shtml

I believe Herefords also have a reputation for better dispositions than many breeds.

djinwa":280pqu6x said:
We could list weaknesses of every breed. Black cattle don't take the heat as well, since they absorb more solar radiation. The red angus breeders eliminated that defect, but the black angus breeders are still working on it.

http://www.cattletoday.com/archive/2007 ... 1033.shtml

I believe Herefords also have a reputation for better dispositions than many breeds.

Brangus breeders solved it quite easily and efficiently. :cowboy:

Latest posts