Best breed for lots of Mosquitos

Help Support CattleToday:

txamateur

Reaction score
Just getting started.... What's the best breed to raise here in Southeast Texas with a lot of mosquitos? I was thinking of Brangus or Brahman.

The more Brahman the better. That is the biggest reason they were imported aside from heat tolerance.
Beefmaster, Braford, Gerts., and Brangus will also do a pretty good job, they were bred for the Gulf Coast, but the straight bred Brahman will do the best.

Brahman, hands down, is the most adaptable to the SE conditions. But, like any selection of cattle breed you have to ask yourself if that breed also has the other characteristics you might require. You have a lot to choose from that include a Brahman influence. I just read of another one the other day called Tropicarne, out of Mexico. It was being advertised as a breed for tropical climates and conditions. 62.5% Senepol/23.4% Barzona/7.8 % Brahman/5.3% Charolais. Interesting!

Brahman are the only cattle that release sebum(an insect type repellent out of their skin). So to answer your question. As caustic would say.

BRAMMERS.

Brahmans, most definitely. As cowman said, they release the repellent and they are also well suited for your climate down there in Texas.

Brammers are hard to beat but they are not for the everyone. They have there own rules and ways of doing things. If you decide to go with the brimmer girls be sure to build good strong high sided pens you will need them until you get educated on how to handle them. The briimer girls will not tolerate the hooping and hollering trying to force issues or any type of what they consider abuse. You will most likely learn through your back pocket.

My Ranch is in southeast texas, (anahuac area) and I am just bout to buy a herd, but from everybody I have talked with - and I have done extensive research on my area - the Brangus is the way to go. You get the insect hardiness of the brahma, and you get the smaller birth weights of the Angus. The Brangus, also is supposed to be more immune to hoof rot than just a brahma or angus - and if your near me in Southeast Texas the wet soil can really get your herd.

Ive been watchin my neighbor run cattle on my land for 3 years waiting to get the money to buy my own, and I will say his Brangus do better than his Brahma unless in a heavily shaded pasture. The Brahma want to get in the shade when its hot, and if you, like me, dont have many trees - you will also want to veer away from just straight Brahma.

My two cents - though I have just been an observer.

Our Brahmans will be out in the sun in 100 degree weather, grazing, or laying in a pile chewing cud when the other cows are in the shade or in the pond!! They enjoy the hot weather. Now the colder weather they can do without!!

mischief":1wmjulvh said:
Our Brahmans will be out in the sun in 100 degree weather, grazing, or laying in a pile chewing cud when the other cows are in the shade or in the pond!! They enjoy the hot weather. Now the colder weather they can do without!!

The old man vet tells me it is not so much the heat of the day, but the warm nights that get cold climate cattle in trouble. When you have 100 degree days and 80 degree nights, milk production is going to fall unless your cows have some ear.

The proof is in the pudding on weaning weights. If you run cold climate cows, you'd best calve them in the fall.

Like BeefmasterB said, Senepols have been shown to have fewer flies than most breeds. Other than that, almost any breed that is crossed with some type of zebu cattle would be better than without.

marksmu":x8bnu6xp said:
My Ranch is in southeast texas, (anahuac area) and I am just bout to buy a herd, but from everybody I have talked with - and I have done extensive research on my area - the Brangus is the way to go. You get the insect hardiness of the brahma, and you get the smaller birth weights of the Angus. The Brangus, also is supposed to be more immune to hoof rot than just a brahma or angus - and if your near me in Southeast Texas the wet soil can really get your herd.

Ive been watchin my neighbor run cattle on my land for 3 years waiting to get the money to buy my own, and I will say his Brangus do better than his Brahma unless in a heavily shaded pasture. The Brahma want to get in the shade when its hot, and if you, like me, dont have many trees - you will also want to veer away from just straight Brahma.

If you believe that about hoof rot you got another thing coming. I have some Brangus and they are always the first to come down with it. Immune my arse.

Might change tomorrow but I've never yet had a Brangus with footrot. Perhaps just good environment but so far "zero". Holsteins....another story.

marksmu":14qr6yy9 said:

strait brahman less heat tolerant the black hided brangus :?: they can lay on a piece of tin in triple digit temps..

alacattleman":2el2jpi1 said:
marksmu":2el2jpi1 said:

strait brahman less heat tolerant the black hided brangus :?: they can lay on a piece of tin in triple digit temps..
I am with you on this alacattleman. When brangus are cooling of in the pond the Brahmans are just getting up to graze.
On top of that you will rarely find straight bred Brahman with a calving problem. As far as temperament, it is equal to how they are handled. They will be as gentle as your skill will allow or as mean as your lack of skill will show. They are known for efficiency.
marksmu; I would like to see some of the research you have done where it shows that Brangus are as heat tolarant or mesquito resistant as straight bred Brahman. As far as seeing the Brahman under a shade tree. Yep probably chewing their cud waiting for the temp to go up a little. ;-) I don't know who you have been talking to but I would stay clear of the advice they are giving you. They are flat out wrong. I've been messing with Brahman since the early 50's and never had a problem with hoof rot. Brahmans have run on the salt grass marsh lands along the coast ever since they were imported.
By the way I do not have anything against Brangus.
If you are new to cattle I would not recomend Brahmans or Brahman cross. They know when you don't know. Stay with straight bred Bos Tarus until you learn the ropes.

novatech":287gv7br said:
If you are new to cattle I would not recomend Brahmans or Brahman cross. They know when you don't know. Stay with straight bred Bos Tarus until you learn the ropes.

I'll second that

Brimmers are hard to beat the only thing more efficient is maybe a longhorn, it also takes a bigger hit at the salebarn. Now brimmers can eat barb wire and briars and still raise a healthy calf, as well as a brimmer calf will survive when all others perish, they are tougher than wet rawhide and harder than a blue steel file.
Get some straight breed brimmer girls buy a good Hereford bull and get into the Certified Golden program offered by the Brimmer association your heifers will bring premium dollars you will still take a hit on the steer calf's per pound but they will make it up in pounds across the scales.

PS get those Moma cows trained to cubes in the pen because those Tiger striped calf's will be like herding turkeys or catching deer.

Caustic Burno":w2962ymk said:
Brimmers are hard to beat the only thing more efficient is maybe a longhorn, it also takes a bigger hit at the salebarn. Now brimmers can eat barb wire and briars and still raise a healthy calf, as well as a brimmer calf will survive when all others perish, they are tougher than wet rawhide and harder than a blue steel file.
Get some straight breed brimmer girls buy a good Hereford bull and get into the Certified Golden program offered by the Brimmer association your heifers will bring premium dollars you will still take a hit on the steer calf's per pound but they will make it up in pounds across the scales.

PS get those Moma cows trained to cubes in the pen because those Tiger striped calf's will be like herding turkeys or catching deer.

Now thats tough! :tiphat: When you get to be harder than a blue steel file it's no wonder them skeeters can't poke a bill into em :lol: Caustic.....I like the way you describe stuff...its a lost art with the younger generation :cboy:

Latest posts