Best breed for brush

Help Support CattleToday:

Our Hereford and Hereford/Holstein cross cows eat alot of brush. This really surprised me.
A breed reknowned for the ability to eat brush are the Scottish Highland cattle. I don't have any experience with them though.

Susie

Same here. Our Herefords actually develop a bit of a hankering for trembling aspen saplings in the late summer and can be often seen chewing on willow and thornbush leaves in the late spring. For about a week in August, our cows will stay exclusively in the bush and strip every aspen sapling of every leaf it can find.

Best i've ever seen at strpping leaves from brush and trees, reaching up, streatchgin their necks out and pulling it down, sometimes even rearing up on their legs to do it. BARZONAS. It comes form the Africander influence, I am told.

mtnman

I haven't seen a breed of cattle that won't eat brush especially if that is all that is available, but, IMO longhorns are as close to a goat as you can get in the bovine classification.

my vote goes to herefordXbrahman although ive seen some brangus that could have some giraffe thrown into the mix..

Shorthorns will eat in the brush well...both Beef and Milking Shorthorns. We pasture cows with calves on a bush/pasture acreage, and they do exceptionally well, making use of a lot of different greenery.

richcattle":27xojzn0 said:
We are looking to put some cattle on our property. What is the best breed to graze brushy grassland?

I'm not too far from Dickenson Cattle Company. They pasture old strip mine ground. Worst piece of ground in 3 counties. But the Longhorns will actually eat the leaves off a multiflora rose bush, and the leaves off a piss elm tree. Rugged old critters. But they sure look rough at times.

One thing i know for sure is that highlander cattle a basically bred to eat brush. But Texas Longhorns are the same way... The problem with them is that they bring in little $$$ at the sales, and this is why i would go with beefmaster.