Best Breed For Arid Southwest

Help Support CattleToday:

Bullitt":2aqowqj0 said:
Brute 23":2aqowqj0 said:
Bullitt":2aqowqj0 said:
Why are many beef producers using Texas Longhorn bulls on their heifers then?

You get twice the money for an Angus calf compared to an Angus X Longhorn? You must have some really great calves.

Because they make you take a donkey and a LH home every time you visit the auction barn.

You must be a politician to dodge questions like that.

I don't believe in heifer bulls period so I have no clue what would inspire a person to use a LH as a heifer bull.

Only people I know who are big on heifer bulls sell a lot of heifers and to get that "bred" price with out the risk.

Brute 23":1dp99kod said:
I don't believe in heifer bulls period so I have no clue what would inspire a person to use a LH as a heifer bull.

Only people I know who are big on heifer bulls sell a lot of heifers and to get that "bred" price with out the risk.

Usually when a person is selling bred heifers/cows the person will say what bull was used. Breeding say Angus heifers with a Longhorn would not help the sales price.

Beef producers use Texas Longhorn bulls on heifers when they plan to keep the heifers around to have their calves so that there will be easy births. On average, a beef cow bred by a Texas Longhorn bull will calve easier.

Bullitt":p5kaexyc said:
gcreekrch":p5kaexyc said:
Proven bloodlines of light BW Angus bulls will calve heifers as easy as LH and you get twice the dollars for them here.

I don't know any that do... they don't want to waste that first calf.. Most that raise their own replacements, are over 2 Years into them before that calf Hits the ground.dont want to be beat like a stepchild on top of that..

Bullitt":tt519ecg said:
Caustic Burno":tt519ecg said:
On the LH your trying to BS a breed that the vast majority of cattlemen consider inferior and don't want.
They can't compete in pounds or grade if they could the would hold a major market share. They don't just fact.

Where did I say that Texas Longhorns "compete in pounds or grade" to common beef breeds?

I said use Texas Longhorn cows and cross them with a common beef breed like an Angus, Charolais, Simmental, or other to get calves that do very well at the sale barn.

The key is that Texas Longhorns cost less to keep. It's not how much a calf sells for, it's the net profit that matters.

Now just think a minute here and I'll give you a prime example.
I bought 140, 360 wt h/c this November and early December. They cost an average of $2.24 per lb at the sale barn. Pictures are there, mostly reds and blacks mix, a couple of Char x and two Speckled Parks.

I also had a buyer who got stuck with 5, 1/2 longhorn h/c talk me into taking them off his hands. I did go look at them before I said yes. They are growing somewhat but 3 weighed 410 and cost $1.05 and 2 weighed 350 and cost $1.12. If we were to take my cost of about $600 to manage a cow and support the iron that feeds her, how much is left in my pocket?

They will be sorted off and sold separately when they go back to town also.

ALACOWMAN":4n7ep0mx said:
Bullitt":4n7ep0mx said:
gcreekrch":4n7ep0mx said:
Proven bloodlines of light BW Angus bulls will calve heifers as easy as LH and you get twice the dollars for them here.

I don't know any that do... they don't want to waste that first calf.. Most that raise their own replacements, are over 2 Years into them before that calf Hits the ground.dont want to be beat like a stepchild on top of that..

I know of quite a few that tried them in the 80's and quit them just as fast. Me included. :roll:

Dogs and Cows":379w7ewx said:
gcreekrch":379w7ewx said:
Bullitt":379w7ewx said:
Where did I say that Texas Longhorns "compete in pounds or grade" to common beef breeds?

I said use Texas Longhorn cows and cross them with a common beef breed like an Angus, Charolais, Simmental, or other to get calves that do very well at the sale barn.

The key is that Texas Longhorns cost less to keep. It's not how much a calf sells for, it's the net profit that matters.

I bought 140, 360 wt h/c this November and early December. They cost an average of $2.24 per lb at the sale barn. Pictures are there, mostly reds and blacks mix, a couple of Char x and two Speckled Parks.

I also had a buyer who got stuck with 5, 1/2 longhorn h/c talk me into taking them off his hands. I did go look at them before I said yes. They are growing somewhat but 3 weighed 410 and cost $1.05 and 2 weighed 350 and cost $1.12. If we were to take my cost of about $600 to manage a cow and support the iron that feeds her, how much is left in my pocket?

Hey gcreekrch...what does he h/c mean in your above example? Thanks

Tim
. My guess is,, half -Charolais

gcreekrch":2esy1o3k said:
Bullitt":2esy1o3k said:
Caustic Burno":2esy1o3k said:
On the LH your trying to BS a breed that the vast majority of cattlemen consider inferior and don't want.
They can't compete in pounds or grade if they could the would hold a major market share. They don't just fact.

Bullitt....... where did you go?

gcreekrch":1pgcpz23 said:
gcreekrch":1pgcpz23 said:
Bullitt":1pgcpz23 said:

Bullitt....... where did you go?

You want me to respond? Okay. Texas Longhorns are not the right cattle for you and where you live.

Latest posts