Best Breed For Arid Southwest

Help Support CattleToday:

SYR":1y5hbrfv said:
Thank you to everyone who replied. The truth is we are becoming very interested in management intensive grazing and want to compliment our genetics to be efficient graziers. Our brangus have performed well for us, though I believe the red color might offer some even better heat resistance but maybe that's just being hopeful. I guess my biggest concern is finding the most low maintenance animals we can find as far as calving ease, parasite resistance, and the ability to efficiently graze low quality forage in the winter since we graze year round with a tight 3 to 4 months of green grass.
We have used set stock/continuous grazing for decades and while the working hours were low , the profits have slowly eroded away. So now as I plan our management intensive system and install infrastructure I just want to optimize our genetics for that type of program. Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

"I guess my biggest concern is finding the most low maintenance animals we can find as far as calving ease, parasite resistance, and the ability to efficiently graze low quality forage in the winter since we graze year round with a tight 3 to 4 months of green grass."

The breed of cattle that meets that description is the Texas Longhorn. Texas Longhorns are the lowest maintenance cattle and can survive and thrive on less and lower quality feed. They will eat grass and brush.

Put a Brangus bull on the Texas Longhorn cows to produce calves that will fill out better and knock the horns off them. That cross with the Longhorn and Brahman genetics would produce calves that would be very hardy cattle.

Bullitt":3d0nzqwq said:
SYR":3d0nzqwq said:
Thank you to everyone who replied. The truth is we are becoming very interested in management intensive grazing and want to compliment our genetics to be efficient graziers. Our brangus have performed well for us, though I believe the red color might offer some even better heat resistance but maybe that's just being hopeful. I guess my biggest concern is finding the most low maintenance animals we can find as far as calving ease, parasite resistance, and the ability to efficiently graze low quality forage in the winter since we graze year round with a tight 3 to 4 months of green grass.
We have used set stock/continuous grazing for decades and while the working hours were low , the profits have slowly eroded away. So now as I plan our management intensive system and install infrastructure I just want to optimize our genetics for that type of program. Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

"I guess my biggest concern is finding the most low maintenance animals we can find as far as calving ease, parasite resistance, and the ability to efficiently graze low quality forage in the winter since we graze year round with a tight 3 to 4 months of green grass."

The breed of cattle that meets that description is the Texas Longhorn. Texas Longhorns are the lowest maintenance cattle and can survive and thrive on less and lower quality feed. They will eat grass and brush.

Put a Brangus bull on the Texas Longhorn cows to produce calves that will fill out better and knock the horns off them. That cross with the Longhorn and Brahman genetics would produce calves that would be very hardy cattle.
and you'll leave the yard, running like you been gang raped

Brute 23":69elmdeu said:
I have yet to see country that a Longhorn could run but a Brahman X couldn't.

I have nothing against Brahman cattle. I suggested Beefmaster (half Brahman) would be good in hot, dry country. But you know that Texas Longhorns can take the heat and the cold, and Brahman cattle do not do well in the cold. Also, I am pretty sure that Texas Longhorns are the most efficient cattle breed. I am willing to read anything you have that shows Brahman or Brahman crossed with anything other than Texas Longhorn is as efficient, meaning eating less to maintain weight.

ALACOWMAN":38g51e7a said:

You never miss an opportunity to put down Texas Longhorn cattle. Maybe you missed it, but many people have posted here how Texas Longhorn cattle are less expensive to raise, are more efficient cattle than other breeds, are more hardy than other breeds, have a 99% fertility rate, and calve very easily, and that when crossed with a common beef breed produce calves that sell very well at the sale barn. In addition, the Texas Longhorns can be sold to more specialty meat markets. The skulls and horns can be sold, as well as the hides. Those that raise Texas Longhorns with very large horns can also sell their cattle for higher prices. There is also the rodeo market with Texas Longhorn calves. The calves are sometimes rented out or sold for roping and steer wrestling. Texas Longhorn cattle actually offer more ways to make money than any other breed of cattle.

Why do you put down Texas Longhorns when many people are making money with Texas Longhorn crossed calves?

Try backing up your statements with facts.

Bullitt":1tufoe72 said:
Brute 23":1tufoe72 said:

I have nothing against Brahman cattle. I suggested Beefmaster (half Brahman) would be good in hot, dry country. But you know that Texas Longhorns can take the heat and the cold, and Brahman cattle do not do well in the cold. Also, I am pretty sure that Texas Longhorns are the most efficient cattle breed. I am willing to read anything you have that shows Brahman or Brahman crossed with anything other than Texas Longhorn is as efficient, meaning eating less to maintain weight.

Yep they can survive off barb wire and briars you only have to wait two years for the hatchet a$$ cattle to get big enough to sale. You can't cover up the LH no matter what you do. Cattlemen a 100 years ago were trying to improve the poor quality beast. Back forty cattle hurt all of us in the business taking a product to the sale the order buyer really doesn't want.
Raising cattle that won't mash the scales and grade is pushing beef in the direction of chicken and pork.

To be honest, longhorn feeders are less efficient in feedlots than most beef breeds. On average, they have slow gaining rate than most beef breeds. That's why Longhorns, Corrientes, Highlands and Galloways are cheaper and they're also less ideal breeds for commercial operations but they can work IF you use the RIGHT bull on them.

Caustic Burno":1nzotduh said:
Bullitt":1nzotduh said:
Brute 23":1nzotduh said:

Yep they can survive off barb wire and briars you only have to wait two years for the hatchet a$$ cattle to get big enough to sale. You can't cover up the LH no matter what you do. Cattlemen a 100 years ago were trying to improve the poor quality beast. Back forty cattle hurt all of us in the business taking a product to the sale the order buyer really doesn't want.
Raising cattle that won't mash the scales and grade is pushing beef in the direction of chicken and pork.

Are you talking about pure Longhorns or Longhorn crosses? Longhorn crosses do well with growth.

http://longhornroundup.com/cross-breedi ... longhorns/

Brute 23":2175mxer said:
If Longhorns were so great they would be every where and there would be all kinds of various crosses of them to other breeds... there aren't.

There are Texas Longhorns all over the United States and all over the world. Do a search for breeders.

Here is a group using Texas Longhorns in Israel. http://www.longhornproject.org/resources/benefits/

There are also many people crossing Texas Longhorns to other breeds and selling the calves commercially. viewtopic.php?t=49051

There are also other breeds created using Texas Longhorn.

Salorn

The Salorn creation program began with registered Texas Longhorn females carrying the genetic traits of adaptability. Superior full blood, smooth-coated, muscular Salers sires, selected for gentle disposition, have been mated to these cows. The resulting F1's (1/2 Salers - 1/2 Longhorn) are bred to 3/4 Salers - 1/4 Longhorn to produce a 5/8 - 3/8 result, which is the First Generation Salorn. Successive generations of the 5/8 - 3/8 Salorn will insure breeding consistency. The Lean Beef Answer!"Salorn" is a composite breed consisting of 5/8 French Salers and 3/8 Texas Longhorn blood. This combination of genetics utilizes the most adaptable breed of cattle in America - the Texas Longhorn - with the most proven carcass quality breed - the Salers. The late professor Jan C. Bonsma, world renowned animal scientist of Pretoria, South Africa, and consultant to the International Salorn Association, stated, "It is my considered opinion that if the breed creation work on the Salorn is judiciously done, the Salorn breed will, in the long run, be a far superior breed to any of the synthetic breeds of America."

Geltex

Dr. Gillespie "I got involved in the Geltex breed last year (1988) because I felt that the idea was in line with new developments within the beef industry. The industry as a whole is trying to take advantage of the attributes of different breeds and combine those with the hybrid vigor that comes from cross breeding. We looked at this and felt we needed to find out if there wasn't some profitability in using Longhorns in crosses. The basic 'operational premise' that we went with was the feeling that Longhorns might create a real advantage, especially on the female side, combining the characteristics of the Longhorn, such as high fertility, longevity and good mothering instincts, with the growthy tendencies of the Gelbvieh.

Texon

The TEXON is being genetically engineered to combine the grass utilization of the Devon with the browsing ability of the Texas Longhorn and the marbling of the Devon with the leanness and favorable unsaturated fatty acids of Texas Longhorn beef. Traits common to both breeds include: high fertility, calving ease, climatic adaptation, and longevity. It is hoped to add a bit of disease and parasite resistance from the Texas Longhorn and good milk production of the Devon. The TEXON is a composite breed evolving from a blend of the genetics of the historic Texas Longhorn and the ancient Devon. The breeding objective is to combine the desirable unique traits of these historically old breeds into a new breed that is better adapted to specific environmental and economic conditions. The Texas Longhorn was "Made in America" by Nature over a 500-year period; and the Devon, "The Beef Breed Supreme at Grass," was introduced to America from England in 1623!Building the Texon Breed: The Texon project was initiated in 1989 and is utilizing reciprocal crosses to exploit the fullest genetic diversity from both breeds. The F-1 (first-cross) is not a TEXON; it is a crossbred which possesses great genetic variability. Several breeding routes are being explored (backcrosses, F-2s, etc.). To "fix" the desired traits and to increase the homozygosity (purity) of the desired gene pairs, selection and exploratory matings will be followed by mild inbreeding and/or line breeding. As an aid to sound selection foundation animals are being evaluated through feedlots and packing plants; and some bulls are being put through forage bull tests.

Angus + Limousin + Longhorn = ALL Cattle
ALL Cattle are comprised of ¼ Limousin, ¼ Longhorn and 2/4 Angus

Bullitt":2nmopfyr said:
Caustic Burno":2nmopfyr said:
Bullitt":2nmopfyr said:

Are you talking about pure Longhorns or Longhorn crosses? Longhorn crosses do well with growth.

http://longhornroundup.com/cross-breedi ... longhorns/

I just read all that and they are not doing any thing with the LH that every one else is not doing and we have a much better, established, market.

If you have problems calving, and medicating, and having to tie a feed sack around their neck that is a problem with your herd... not the breed. You just need to cull harder or back off and let mother nature do it for you. I assure you there are pampered, problematic LH just like there are hardy ones. There are pampered, problematic Brahman cattle just like there are hardy ones. There are pampered, problematic Angus cattle just like there are hardy ones.

On the LH your trying to BS a breed that the vast majority of cattlemen consider inferior and don't want.
They can't compete in pounds or grade if they could the would hold a major market share. They don't just fact.

Bullitt":2tc59nep said:
ALACOWMAN":2tc59nep said:

You never miss an opportunity to put down Texas Longhorn cattle. Maybe you missed it, but many people have posted here how Texas Longhorn cattle are less expensive to raise, are more efficient cattle than other breeds, are more hardy than other breeds, have a 99% fertility rate, and calve very easily, and that when crossed with a common beef breed produce calves that sell very well at the sale barn. In addition, the Texas Longhorns can be sold to more specialty meat markets. The skulls and horns can be sold, as well as the hides. Those that raise Texas Longhorns with very large horns can also sell their cattle for higher prices. There is also the rodeo market with Texas Longhorn calves. The calves are sometimes rented out or sold for roping and steer wrestling. Texas Longhorn cattle actually offer more ways to make money than any other breed of cattle.

Why do you put down Texas Longhorns when many people are making money with Texas Longhorn crossed calves?

Try backing up your statements with facts.
when you quit copying and Paste'ing articles and start """actually raising them""And not just what you've read.get some first hand experience with them.. Like I've said i am persuaded by what I see, not from what I hear from a breed pusher.. Not from someone who's just enamored by a breed

There's a reason why Salorn, Texon, Geltex and ALL cattle didn't take off. While Longhorns and other less ideal breeds do have their place in commercial operations and in crossbreeding programs, they're less muscular than most beef breeds and quite boney just like dairy breeds. Less beef, more waste.....not ideal for feedlots. A RIGHT bull will add beef in the Longhorn calves, but they're probably not meeting all requirements for CAB program. You just can't put an Angus bull on them and expecting them have growthy calves.

As for CB's exaggerated statement about them and the back forty cattle hurting "all of us" in the business taking a product to the sale the order buyer really doesn't want.... please don't speak for everyone. Not everyone agrees with what you said. Longhorn do not hurt anything, it is the black hide fad that is causing problems.

Muddy":humdqzy8 said:
There's a reason why Salorn, Texon, Geltex and ALL cattle didn't take off. While Longhorns and other less ideal breeds do have their place in commercial operations and in crossbreeding programs, they're less muscular than most beef breeds and quite boney just like dairy breeds. Less beef, more waste.....not ideal for feedlots. A RIGHT bull will add beef in the Longhorn calves, but they're probably not meeting all requirements for CAB program. You just can't put an Angus bull on them and expecting them have growthy calves.

As for CB's exaggerated statement about them and the back forty cattle hurting "all of us" in the business taking a product to the sale the order buyer really doesn't want.... please don't speak for everyone. Not everyone agrees with what you said. Longhorn do not hurt anything, it is the black hide fad that is causing problems.

Wolf brand chili and Alpo need beef as well there is a market for LH. Just not a good one.

Muddy":3deklq91 said:

Longhorn don't help anything either, and the "black fad" hasn't caused a hatchet azz, polka dots, or an animal that won't finish at the feedlots.

True Grit Farms":gs7qv6ng said:
Muddy":gs7qv6ng said:

Longhorn don't help anything either, and the "black fad" hasn't caused a hatchet azz, polka dots, or an animal that won't finish at the feedlots.
No but they makes awesome heifer bulls for beef heifers. Anyone with low IQ can spot a straight longhorn calf at the sale barns but the half blood Longhorn calves is another story.

Latest posts