best breed for a recip cow

Help Support CattleToday:

plbcattle

Reaction score
I use brangus or brangus cross for my recips. I have always wondered why not use a holstein. some people use them and others say they put off to much mild for one calf to handle and this can lead to problems. anyone ever used milk cows for recips and what kind of luck did you have

serveral years ago the guys from ankony at pine ridge bought some simmental and simmental x angus cows to use as recips. i think they were pleased with the results. i wondered why not use holsteins as well. what kind of success rate do you have with your brangus? i was going to work witha reproductive physiologist in college and he told me that brahman influenced cows didnt tend to accept as well as bos taurus cows. your thoughts?

Holsteins tend to be less fertile then beef breeds so why waste the money on an embryo that may not live, and Holsteins are worth too much money to mess around with them not having a Holstein heifer calf.

dun

As a Hereford breeder, I intend to use the Simmental X Angus or just a purebred Angus. Both Simmental and Angus are top milk producers. Mostly though, I use Angus, but I have some infusion of Simmental in some of my recipients. :cboy:

Here in Texas the Brahman crossed with a milk breed (primarily Holstein)bring good $$ for recips. But like Dun suggested.. the Brahman influence does sometimes have an impact on how well they take an implant.

I know of several Angus breeders who use their low-end registered cattle for recips. A week or so after they implant, they put the cows with a bull. They get a "registerable" calf either way. Also, the AAA now computes AHIR data on embryo calves if the dam is a registered Angus cow with EPDs.

My recieps are mostly SimmyXMaine. But alot has to do with your location. I don't figure that cross would last long in the south. But they do just fine for me.

really the best recip is here x hol bra x hol their teats will balloon an be hrd for the calves to suck personally id use here x hol scott

We use commercial cows and don't worry about breed of the recips. You know the ones that calve on time every year. My brother calls them the A-team. They seem to come to the top of the list every time. We are planning on using some of the low end reg. cows next year.

My opinion only but the best recip would also be the best momma cows. A crossbreed and if my choice it would be GelbviehXHereford or GelbviehXAngus, next choice would be simmenthal instead of Gelbvieh in the cross.

dun

dun":3praf4tt said:
My opinion only but the best recip would also be the best momma cows. A crossbreed and if my choice it would be GelbviehXHereford or GelbviehXAngus, next choice would be simmenthal instead of Gelbvieh in the cross.

dun
Once again - I agree with dun! The most important purpose and duty of a recip is to "Receive" the fertilized ovum or embryo and "Deliver and Raise the resulting calf in the most optimum manner possible". Seek and find the best - whatever its breed may be. I think dun's breed mix is as good as it gets.

DOC

Holstein used to be "the cow" to use for recips. But, a holstein does not hold up well on pasture, used like a beef cow. Simm X Angus are very popular - great fertility & milking ability.
Most crossbreds work well. Most important, they must be fertile, easy keepers, have the capacity/ability to calve easily, and milk well.

Latest posts