Best Brahman Cross

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
What is your opinion for the best Brahman cross cattle for commercial production? I've always heard/read that Brahman cross don't grade well, but I sure like the size and disease resistance.

A half Brahman cow when bred to anything other than a dairy, Longhorn or Brahman derivative bull will produce an acceptable feeder calf. The half blood cow is versatile in that you can use an English bred bull (Angus, Hereford, shorthorn, etc) to improve carcass quality or a Continental bull (Charolais, Simmental, Gelbvieh, Limousin, etc) to improve red meat yield. The use of a Brangus, Santa Gertrudis or Beefmaster bull on a half=blood cow will let come close to reproducing the super replacement heifer, BUT the steer mates will not top the market (about $5 to $9 per cwt. back of the top at least here in East Texas)

I run brangus and brangus baldies crossed with Charolais Bulls for a purly terminal cross. Makes a great calf.

Thanks for the information. I've also started watching the horns pretty close and trying to get them dehorned. I was getting knocked pretty good at sale time with nub horns.

I've been thinking about trying a good red brangus bull next.

westernvendor.com":e2q6gh9y said:
Thanks for the information. I've also started watching the horns pretty close and trying to get them dehorned. I was getting knocked pretty good at sale time with nub horns.

That will make you some super replacement heifers, but the steer mates will not top the market. Too much Brahman influence in calves from a Red Brangus (1/4 to 1/2 Brahman influence) and 1/2 Brahman cow. Try to have 1/4 or less Brahman influence to get top dollar.

BC":r3xnxs9l said:
westernvendor.com":r3xnxs9l said:

That will make you some super replacement heifers, but the steer mates will not top the market. Too much Brahman influence in calves from a Red Brangus (1/4 to 1/2 Brahman influence) and 1/2 Brahman cow. Try to have 1/4 or less Brahman influence to get top dollar.

As for momma cows I think a Brahma crossed with any breed will improve it.
IF you don't live where it is to cold, they are not cold weather cattle. and you have to learn how to handle Brahman cattle. Work them right and they are great, handle them wronge and they will hurt you or themselve. The key is what you breed the 1/2 brahmas back to. one of the best cows I ever saw was a cross between a Brahma and a Hol. but you needed to breed her to something like a black Ang.

At the local cattle auction 600 lb f-1 bra x herford replacement heifers were selling for $1.50 a lb, $900 for a weaned heifer, pretty good cross. the best cross is what the buyer will pay the most for, you have to determine what the ranchers in your area wants.

IMO F1 braford cross are unbeatable for Texas and Louisiana. Supper efficient and good mommas. You better have good working facilities and the experience to handle them before you get into them.

novatech":1t5ot7a3 said:
IMO F1 braford cross are unbeatable for Texas and Louisiana. Supper efficient and good mommas. You better have good working facilities and the experience to handle them before you get into them.
yep all of what he said... but in Oklahoma you might be better using brangus moma cows

Hmm...not sure what happened on my post above, but thanks for all of the replies. I currently run a Brahman mix, but I think it would be wise to get a little more uniformity. Somewhere along the line, I started seeing finer boned flat sided cattle with a lot of leg.

I've eliminated everything in question and am working on getting a good consistent cross. I had thought about the black Brangus option, but thought the red might do a little better in the summer. I guess a lot of people around here run black Angus cattle, so probably no big deal.

BRYANT":2xya4x67 said:
As for momma cows I think a Brahma crossed with any breed will improve it.
IF you don't live where it is to cold, they are not cold weather cattle. and you have to learn how to handle Brahman cattle. Work them right and they are great, handle them wronge and they will hurt you or themselve. The key is what you breed the 1/2 brahmas back to. one of the best cows I ever saw was a cross between a Brahma and a Hol. but you needed to breed her to something like a black Ang.

Bryant, I've seen a whole herd of these and they were great cattle. Also know where there's a guy that runs a jersey dairy and used red brahman bulls....he has a herd of cattle from this cross and they're darn nice as well. Runs an angus bull with them.

westernvendor.com":3fa2qxjm said:
Hmm...not sure what happened on my post above, but thanks for all of the replies. I currently run a Brahman mix, but I think it would be wise to get a little more uniformity. Somewhere along the line, I started seeing finer boned flat sided cattle with a lot of leg.

I've eliminated everything in question and am working on getting a good consistent cross. I had thought about the black Brangus option, but thought the red might do a little better in the summer. I guess a lot of people around here run black Angus cattle, so probably no big deal.
there wont be ''that''' big a difference in the brangus.. im sure some will argue that but the choice is you'r anyway

oscar p":1sl5j41y said:
I am a fan of the Brahman bull, Charolais cow route. I have 3 heifers, I kept from a couple years ago, That I really like.
i never liked the charbrays,, but F1 braford momas bred to charolais makes a dandy calf

Hard to beat a brangus momma with a good polled Hereford bull, they grow like crazy. Hereford tightens up the skin and the heifers bring a premium for replacements and you don't get hit on the steer calves.

Caustic Burno":1a3zsnvs said:
Hard to beat a brangus momma with a good polled Hereford bull, they grow like crazy. Hereford tightens up the skin and the heifers bring a premium for replacements and you don't get hit on the steer calves.
I prefer Horned Hereford to Polled, but otherwise, I like your thinkin"!

cowboy43":6o0ym8c1 said:
At the local cattle auction 600 lb f-1 bra x herford replacement heifers were selling for $1.50 a lb, $900 for a weaned heifer, pretty good cross. the best cross is what the buyer will pay the most for, you have to determine what the ranchers in your area wants.

We're going to see much more of this in the coming years. One guy tells me he has had orders in for two months for replacement cows. "They're aren't any for this climate" are his exact words. He's now going to heifers and having to compete.

Eared heifers (of any cross) are going to go through the roof with the shortage we are in.

bigag03":3amdclg6 said:
Caustic Burno":3amdclg6 said:
I prefer Horned Hereford to Polled, but otherwise, I like your thinkin"!

While I am not new to breeding cattle, I am fairly new to the CT forum and I was
just curious of your experiences with Horned vs. Polled Herefords that you would
prefer Horned.
DM

Latest posts