BEST BEEF BREED FOR WORRYLESS CAVING?

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I need a breed of cattle that 1st time hefiers want reach maturity in breeding to soon and the right bull for calving ease so that I can let nature take its corse.I get to dishearted when having to pull calves are lose some due to them breeding to early or bull throwing to big of calves. I don't have enough room to seperate my hefiers and would like to keep my heifers and just change bulls every 2 years with no worrys of calving problems. Is this posiable?If so what breed would come closest and bull to meet this posablity?I was told longhorn would work,but I realy wanted something just a little more marketable. Thanks.

[email protected]

>have you looked into murray grey cattle? I need a breed of cattle that 1st
> time hefiers want reach maturity
> in breeding to soon and the right
> bull for calving ease so that I
> can let nature take its corse.I
> get to dishearted when having to
> pull calves are lose some due to
> them breeding to early or bull
> throwing to big of calves. I don't
> have enough room to seperate my
> hefiers and would like to keep my
> heifers and just change bulls
> every 2 years with no worrys of
> calving problems. Is this
> posiable?If so what breed would
> come closest and bull to meet this
> posablity?I was told longhorn
> would work,but I realy wanted
> something just a little more
> marketable. Thanks.

[email protected]

> I would chose a low BW epd Limousin Bull, they are known for easy calving breed wide and especially a few for very easy calving.You would still have a very marketable calf from this type cross.

I need a breed of cattle that 1st
> marketable. Thanks.

[email protected]

As I understand your question, you want a bull that can breed 8-12 month old heifers and not cause calving problems? Then you'll retain heifers from that breeding and use a different bull on those 8-12 month old heifers? If that is indeed your goal, I think within two generations you will have an extremely light muscled herd of cattle that cycle at earlier ages every generation. The larger, Continental breeds are later maturing, but not easy calving. Brahman cattle are late maturing. If your market doesn't discount them, a Brahman bull might be your answer. We saw some nice black baldy heifers sell Saturday. The ones bred to Brahman bulls sold for $1-200 less than those bred to "black bulls." My suggestion is to sell your heifers at weaning, take some of that money and buy a few bred replacement heifers from a reputable program. Good luck...

[email protected]

> I need a breed of cattle that 1st
> marketable. Thanks.

Murray Grey is your best bet.

We raise Registered Texas Longhorns. Feed them so they have a "beefy" confirmation, but not "fat". We're not running a feedlot! Calves that are too fat have calving problems. Texas Longhorns, very gentle, intelligent, have 99.7% unassisted calving (per university research), and are excellent for 1st calf heifers...average 50-65# birthweight. Can calve into their late teens and even into early 20's! Excellent browsers, mothers, and all! Bill.

[email protected]

I'd have to agree with Frankie. Sell the young heifers before they get bred and buy a heifer that's already calved. My husband has ranched for 50+ years and I a curious newcomer are one of a few that think 8-12 months is too young to breed, we've never had to pull any of their calves using Angus or Limo bulls. But, they never look as good as the heifers that get bred closer to 18+ months. Around here black and black/baldy sell for quite a bit more no matter what the breed. They say that the black baldy is more disease resistant and makes a better 'organic' cow. I don't know what's popular where you live though. You might ask the local ranchers their opinion too.

[email protected]

I have just bought a Murray Grey bull to run with my heifer's. I am really pleased with his size and disposition and would recommend a Murray Grey bull. I looked into alot of breed's of bull's for my heifer's and visited alot of farm's and this was the best choice for me.

I have lived on a Polled Hereford Farm for all my life. I personally feel that you should go with Polled Herefords. We also raise Beefmasters, but they don't calf as well and like to get a rowdy when got a newborn. If I was you I would go with a Victor Bull for your young heifers. Something like Heavy Hitter may be too big for your heifers although maybe later on you may decide to try him and be very pleased, but I wouldn't yet.

[email protected]

> I got to dissagree with frankie about getting light cows out of a easy calving bull cows are supposed to look like cows not feeder steers. retain your heifers and use a terminal bull for the next calf crop Or just use Murray greys

[email protected]

Latest posts