Best Beef Animal you've ever seen

Help Support CattleToday:

ABrauny

Reaction score
I don't know if this has been a thread on here before but what is the best beef animal you've seen in person. It can be a bull, heifer, cow, steer, calf, etc. The best beef animal I ever saw in person was a 1300 lb. Gelbvieh x Hereford x Red Angus steer that was being shown at the county fair I was showing at. He had tons of rib, easy fleshing, great feet, a monstrous rear end, and graded C+ . He obviously didn't win the show because he wasn't a black, posty legged, hairy club calf. On a side note that steer has cemented my belief that most steers shows are a joke. :hide:

the best one I've seen in my herd in a long time (I don't get to see many other herds) is this one, he's 1/2 GV, 1/4 SH, and about 1/4 herf

According to chest girth, he's 850 lbs at 8 months (hasn't slowed at all since weaning)
IMG_7296-crop.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v153/ ... 6-crop.jpg

His sister is nearly identical and is 1250 at 19 months (Mega, #5S)

The best I've ever seen... Hard to say. But I do have one particular cow that comes to mind. She a nine hundred pound red brangus-ish thing that has given me a calf that's almost as big as she is for the seven years that I've owned her. I bought her as a bred heifer for four hundred bucks and sold the resulting calf for about five hundred. So far all I've ever put into her is vaccines and one straw of semen a year. She's even tempered but not to the point of being to gentle to get out of the way when I want her to and she's always one of the leaders that head into the corral first and when I gather I can point her in the right direction and she just goes and takes a bunch with her.
When I bought her I was buying spring pairs and spliting them at the sales-yard in the fall for beef. Anything I liked I would breed ONE time only and keep her if she stuck. She survived that for four years and actually moved backwards into my fall herd where she continues to perform.
I wish I had a hundred more like her.

Best I ever seen was about four years ago on a camping trip. It was laying on a plate and was rib-eye breed.

Isomade":16yva9by said:
Best I ever seen was about four years ago on a camping trip. It was laying on a plate and was rib-eye breed.

Back in my youth, a few us guys would head to the lake for the weekend. Friday evening we would combine our money and buy beer, boat gas, and food in that order. One time we bought $75 in beer, $20 in gas, and $5 in pork chops. Sunday afternoon we cooked the pork chops. Best dang pork chops I ever ate in my life. You know kids got to have priorities.

best i have seen

club calf back in the late 70s

some sort of sim angus cross...was smoke colored. I saw him as a weanling after he was bought for a show steer. don't recall where he was from. I delivered some angus cattle to the farm and saw him then.

he was a nice calf....

what made him great.....

was that he won the Ohio State Fair steer show and .......
was bought at the sale by Wendys.....a new hamburger chain....

for 256,000.....
because "Wendys make hamburgers 256 diferent ways"

Kid and his father took the money and went out west to Erdmanns and bought a few cows.

The next year a bull calf, that came to be known as Pine Drive Big Sky, was born on a farm in Ohio.

because of one good steer calf. Sure the bull might have been born at Erdmanns and Done just as well, but on the other hand maybe he would have been lost in the crowd or gotten scoured or eaten by a bear or a million other things.

that steer paid his way.
True story.....hand to God....

pdfangus":3726kekw said:
best i have seen

club calf back in the late 70s

some sort of sim angus cross...was smoke colored. I saw him as a weanling after he was bought for a show steer. don't recall where he was from. I delivered some angus cattle to the farm and saw him then.

he was a nice calf....

what made him great.....

was that he won the Ohio State Fair steer show and .......
was bought at the sale by Wendys.....a new hamburger chain....

for 256,000.....
because "Wendys make hamburgers 256 diferent ways"

Kid and his father took the money and went out west to Erdmanns and bought a few cows.

The next year a bull calf, that came to be known as Pine Drive Big Sky, was born on a farm in Ohio.

because of one good steer calf. Sure the bull might have been born at Erdmanns and Done just as well, but on the other hand maybe he would have been lost in the crowd or gotten scoured or eaten by a bear or a million other things.

that steer paid his way.
True story.....hand to God....

May be the neatest story I've read on here since the Idaman thread

The best beef animal I ever saw was the Braford Cross bull I posted on here.
My dad bought some black baldies and black brangus baldies.
He was born to a brangus baldie(She may have been a dark colored braford not sure).
He was born with a hump on his back which was the first calf we had ever seen like that.
We decided to keep him.
He threw some of the best calves. His daughters were very thick and easy fleshing great milkers and raised huge calves.. His steers brought good money at the sale barn.

I sold the bull at 11 years old this year. He had come out of the winter at 1900 llbs. He was not even in top shape.
He was 100% grass fed and in top condition he was over 2000lbs. He stayed in good shape year round.

And was a beef machine!!!!!!!!!!

Phenotypically the best bull I've seen was an F1. A son of the Red Angus bull Leachman Midland Heavyweight and out of a registered Beefmaster cow. Used him in a composite program and mated him to F1 Gelbvieh x Beefmaster females. The composite was 1/2 Beefmaster, 1/4 Gelbvieh and 1/4 Red Angus. Was back in the early 1990's in Burleson County, Texas.

Nesikep":296rdi02 said:
if we're talking about bulls, we had a Saler that weighed in at 2450 when we sold him (8 years old)
How large of a frame was that weight packed on?

It would be hard to say what the best animal i ever saw was-i have seen a lot of good ones in many different breeds.However,back in around 1985 i went to buy a bull at an old time beefmaster breeders place that bought a lot of his bulls from lasaters retired herd sires.

We drove around with him showing me his cows then to the bull pasture.I didn't see a bad bull on the place but we came up to a solid red bull laying on the ground.He was a retired lasater herd sire.The bull got up and stretched and i'm sure my eyes bugged out when i looked at him.He had a very clean sheath(at this time there were a lot of ground draggers in the breed).He was not heavy boned--maybe medium at best but he was one of the thickest made bulls i had ever seen.His muscling was very extreme-almost vulgar in appearance.

Was he the best i have ever seen? Probably not,but he is still the bull i think of when trying to produce the type of animal i would be proud to own or sell.

Latest posts