Best BBQ sauce?

Help Support CattleToday:

showing71

Reaction score
I want to make ribs sometime soon, and want to put a good bbq sauce on them. What are your favorites?
Edit: bottled store bought, unless you all want to share your secret sauces ;-)

The southern guys are going to go nuts, but here is my favorite recipe.

1c. Ketchup
3/4c. brown sugar
1/4c. finely minced onion
1/2t. Liquid smoke
1/4t. garlic powder

Add all into a sauce pan, stir together well. Heat to a slow simmer. Use on your favorite dish needing BBQ sauce.

I luv herfrds":3jc5jivb said:

1c. Ketchup
3/4c. brown sugar
1/2t. Liquid smoke
1/4t. garlic powder

Add all into a sauce pan, stir together well. Heat to a slow simmer. Use on your favorite dish needing BBQ sauce.

I can taste it and it tastes good.

We are going to do some ribs the weekend. Thought about trying Grannysoo's rub on them first and slathering them with some sauce just before I take them off the grill.

As for store bought, I like John Boy and Billy's. Pretty good to me. Mine's better though. :lol2:

There are so many regional only BBQ sauces. Since you're close to me, there is a sauce made at Algona, IA. I think it's called Countryside that really good. Fareway sells it.
I kind of like to try the different regional ones. I don't really like Cookies that much and that's really popular around here.

Jogeephus":35kzx39m said:
We are going to do some ribs the weekend. Thought about trying Grannysoo's rub on them first and slathering them with some sauce just before I take them off the grill.

Use plenty of that rub Jo! Rub it in good all over the meat and then just pile the rest of it on the top. It won't be long before it turns into a syrup looking mixture. That crust makes some fine eating when it comes off the smoker.

grannysoo":uojihpr2 said:
Jogeephus":uojihpr2 said:

Use plenty of that rub Jo! Rub it in good all over the meat and then just pile the rest of it on the top. It won't be long before it turns into a syrup looking mixture. That crust makes some fine eating when it comes off the smoker.

Some of the kids in town are having a dance this weekend. Thought I might put together a little feast for them. (Actually, I just need a good excuse to cook some more ribs and this seems to be a good chance)

I luv herfrds":20wobese said:

1c. Ketchup
3/4c. brown sugar
1/2t. Liquid smoke
1/4t. garlic powder

Worked in the lab till 2 a.m making up mobs, slathers, rubs and sauces for today's adventure into the world of glutany and excess. Decided to give this one a try and it is very good and very easy to prepare. Thanks for the recipe - I owe you one. :tiphat:

I am going to try yours as well ILH and I will substitute the ketchup for sugar free ketchup and the brown sugar for splenda and it will be low carb . Hubby will love it as he hates all the low carb bbq sauces that you can buy.I will let you know how it goes, I wonder if splenda makes brown sugar..

Thanks... :wave:

hillsdown":297d6klg said:
I am going to try yours as well ILH and I will substitute the ketchup for sugar free ketchup and the brown sugar for splenda and it will be low carb . Hubby will love it as he hates all the low carb bbq sauces that you can buy.I will let you know how it goes, I wonder if splenda makes brown sugar..

Thanks... :wave:

I think you are going to need to add a little molassas if you use splenda or something to take the place of the molassas in the brown sugar.

Give us a thumbs up or a thumbs down.

Back on the subject again, if we're talking store bought:

Sonny's makes a good sauce. I like their sweet version.

Cattlemans makes a couple of good sauces. Lot of vinegar taste in these.

Just stay away from Kraft or anything like that.

I luv herfrds":255w1z2s said:

1c. Ketchup
3/4c. brown sugar
1/2t. Liquid smoke
1/4t. garlic powder

OK so I made this yesterday for a pork brisket I did up. I changed the ketchup to unsweetened and the brown sugar to splenda brown sugar (but used half of what was called for).I also changed the liquid smoke to chipotle tabasco sauce and garlic powder to 1/8 tsp. fresh minced garlic.

It turned out great and the best part is it is pretty much sugar free and low carb..

Now I am going to put it in small containers and freeze them as I don't think they will keep that long in the fridge.

Thanks for the recipe ILH... :tiphat:

hillsdown":20c10119 said:
I luv herfrds":20c10119 said:

1c. Ketchup
3/4c. brown sugar
1/2t. Liquid smoke
1/4t. garlic powder

OK so I made this yesterday for a pork brisket I did up. I changed the ketchup to unsweetened and the brown sugar to splenda brown sugar (but used half of what was called for).I also changed the liquid smoke to chipotle tabasco sauce and garlic powder to 1/8 tsp. fresh minced garlic.

It turned out great and the best part is it is pretty much sugar free and low carb..

Now I am going to put it in small containers and freeze them as I don't think they will keep that long in the fridge.

Thanks for the recipe ILH... :tiphat:

Chipolte tobasco? I'm impressed!! That's a staple in my kitchen :nod: . Next time your in experimental mode, take this same recipe (a good one!!) and try adding a little diet coke instead of the brown sugar. Yea, sounds terrible but it works! It helps to par boil the ribs first as well.

Jogeephus":1kthsdx4 said:
:shock: Parboiling ribs is sacrilegious. ;-) :lol2: :lol2:

:lol2: I understand what your saying, Jo! So, I just do it when no one is looking. :lol2: :wave: Seriously, We can buy what we think is the best package of ribs, cook them slow or fast, rare or well done, marinate them for hours and they can still turn out tough. That's why they invented BBQ sauce. Parboiling does a magic trick by softening those tough parts and then they go right to the grill. Nowdays, I brush the BBQ sauce on one side of the meat only, so as not to mask the flavor of the meat entirely. Now I'm getting hungry for babybacks. And, it's just 7:15!

Latest posts