Best Barbed Wire

Help Support CattleToday:

aplusmnt

Reaction score
Gearing up for some new fences as soon as Spring hits. Was wondering what Barbed wire people recommend? I had always heard that Red Brand was one of the best and that was what we bought in the past. But on some other threads I heard some negative things about it. So looking for suggestions on brands and Gauges that you have had success with?

aplusmnt":1fqg7sdx said:
Gearing up for some new fences as soon as Spring hits. Was wondering what Barbed wire people recommend? I had always heard that Red Brand was one of the best and that was what we bought in the past. But on some other threads I heard some negative things about it. So looking for suggestions on brands and Gauges that you have had success with?

Red Brand rusts too fast and tends to stretch out.

Gaucho doesn't rust and stays tight when pulled in summer. Sharp barbs too.

MikeC":oestjek2 said:
aplusmnt":oestjek2 said:

Red Brand rusts too fast and tends to stretch out.

Gaucho doesn't rust and stays tight when pulled in summer. Sharp barbs too.

IMO, Red Brand runs on its name, overpriced and over the years has degraded in quality.

Red brand is thicker and stronger than the Gaucho we have. We only use the Gaucho for electric fence since it's so thin.

Hook the Red Brand up to a block and tackle and your truck and pull it until it breaks, go back and fix the break and stretch tight again. You'll never have to tighten it. The issue then is if your winters get cold enough it can pull posts out of the ground because the wire will constrict giving it even more tension.

I've had mucho success with 15.5 gauge Hi-Tensile gaucho. The wire is smaller but is very strong and holds it's tension. It's also much easier (lighter) to work with. Many fallen trees from Hurricane Katrina were held up by my new fences...nary a cow got out. I just cut the trees off and patched 'em up.

Red Brand is Terrible!!!
Gaucho is the very best we have ever used.

We put 3 strands of Gaucho and two strands of Redbrand on the very same fence at the same time, 3 years later the red brand had to be replaced & 10 years after that the gaucho still hasn't rusted.

My experiences have been very similar to those of FarmerZ and jscunn, both with falling trees and rust, so these days Gaucho is the only wire I use. Gaucho is certainly harder to work with and you sure need a good pair of gloves, but the end result is pretty satisfying.

What gauge Gaucho are you guys using? Or do they only offer it in one size? I have seen it at Tractor Supply but never looked to see if they have different gauges.

aplusmnt":u3sdi1sq said:
What gauge Gaucho are you guys using? Or do they only offer it in one size? I have seen it at Tractor Supply but never looked to see if they have different gauges.

I think it only comes in 15.5 ga. in either 4 prong or two. Here it locally known as Gotcha! Wire.

milesvb":h1nolf29 said:
aplusmnt":h1nolf29 said:

Here it locally known as Gotcha! Wire.

That's much more polite then what I call it.

dun

dun":t5v6hkzh said:
milesvb":t5v6hkzh said:
aplusmnt":t5v6hkzh said:

Here it locally known as Gotcha! Wire.

That's much more polite then what I call it.

dun

Myself!!! As somebody else said" you better have a good pair of gloves."

!5.5 gauge Gaucho. Strong, cheaper than 12.5 gauge, and weighs about half as much. I'll never use the heavy gauge wire again.

We've always used Red Brand. Yes, it does rust, but who says you have to replace it when it starts to rust? There are fences on my dad's place that were built when my dad (65) was a boy. Granted, they are rusty now, but not falling down. Never had any goucho on the place long enough to see if it would rust. If you stretch it very tight and try to cross it, it breaks. I've had it happen many times before where I'll be coon hunting in the middle of the night and crossing one of the neighbors goucho fences and bust it. Yes, I know I need to lose weight, but I've never busted a strand of Red Brand crossing it. Kinda embarassing too since I have to cobble the fence back together temporarily and then call the neighbor in the morning to tell him I couldn't get my fat arse over his fence and I will be over to fix it shortly. This has been my experience.

Latest posts