Best baler for 4x5 bales?

Help Support CattleToday:

Have a BR7070 NH baler which is a 4x6, a BR7060 is the 4x5 version. Makes a nice tight bale which ill put against any baler, has been very reliable and eats hay. Cant complain about it at all.

We've got a Vermeer 604 Pro. It's a 6x4, the 504 Pro is a 5x4. We have had occasional issues with it, but nothing really major.

With the crop cutter, it will pack more in a bale than one without. Our 60x48 dry bales come in around 1000-1200 lbs.

If you like to stack with the bottom row flipped on end, 5x4s are harder to stack because of the space between rows. Bales that are as tall as they are wide are easier to do that with.

We have found that 5x4s are just about the right size for our operation, they fit in the barns well, and are sized about right for the amount of cows that we feed.

The best bailer is the one you can afford and the one that runs well.
I never buy equipment like this - if used - without trying it out and getting the dealer to ensure it is completely serviced first. If he will not do this then I walk.
If buying new then usually it comes down to two things.
1. The cost
2. The dealer - some are excellent and some are not.
Hope you find what you are looking for.

I will double down on a NH 7060. I love mine, wish it had net wrap. A lot of Deere balers running here with no issues as well.

I run a 648 SS with crop cutter. It is the precursor to the 7060s the other guys are mentioning. It does well for me and I like the bales it makes. It was priced right and wasn't worn out so I bought it. I was looking at 740as and 7060s as well. I do all my own work so dealer support isn't an issue I even consider. However, if I was relying on a dealer to fix issues that arise in season I would consider anything that you have close by that is in your price range. I honestly think most brands will make you happy.

I had a 648SS prior to my BR7070CC baler and the two aren't even in the same ball park as far as capacity.

Downfall to my 648 was the "local" (90 miles away) dealer stopped stocking parts so when a part broke i had 100 acres of hay on the ground with parts a weekend away. Ended up on a 12 hour all night trip to get what I needed and be back running the next day. It went down the road shortly thereafter for something with "locally" stocked parts.

IMO, your dealer support should probably be the deciding factor for a newer baler. I run older stuff, and work on it, not as efficient as i would like. I use twine and tarp it, haven't got to build a good barn yet, and 2 bucks a bale extra cost for net isn't in the plan right now. Though I would like to have a newer baler, just really don't want to spend the money.

On used balers, condition and dealer support are very important as any of them will bale. Also on the newer balers if you tighten the pressure down they will make a nice bale. From experience I back it off a little as I don't like replacing bearings and broken belts.

IMO, your dealer support should probably be the deciding factor for a newer baler. I run older stuff, and work on it, not as efficient as i would like. I use twine and tarp it, haven't got to build a good barn yet, and 2 bucks a bale extra cost for net isn't in the plan right now. Though I would like to have a newer baler, just really don't want to spend the money.
Where do you get the $2/bale extra cost from? I haven't used plastic string in years, but off the top of my head the last year I used it I was spending about 40 cents/bale for plastic string. I put close to 3 wraps of Vermeer brand net on my rolls and I'm averaging $1.31/bale doing so.

There are not as many Kuhn balers out there but mine has been almost flawless for 6500 bales. Very tight bales in wet or dry hay. Dealers for them can be scarce but they are built very heavy and should last. I'm retiring and going to sell mine. I expect to get 20k for it as it is now.

Where do you get the $2/bale extra cost from? I haven't used plastic string in years, but off the top of my head the last year I used it I was spending about 40 cents/bale for plastic string. I put close to 3 wraps of Vermeer brand net on my rolls and I'm averaging $1.31/bale doing so.
Plus net is faster going on.

I use a MY 1998 JD 456SS. Twine and net wrap. I've been happy with it. Bought it from a JD dealer that I trust. I've had it three years and have replaced one hydraulic line and one idle roller bearing.

I guess your cost for twine is higher than mine, have you bought net yet for this year? 3 wraps for 1.31 sounds awful cheap.

I guess your cost for twine is higher than mine, have you bought net yet for this year? 3 wraps for 1.31 sounds awful cheap.
Yessir, bought a few rolls of Vermeer net last month at $250/roll and I average 190 round bales per roll.

How much are you paying for plastic string and how many rolls do you get per ball?

Yessir, bought a few rolls of Vermeer net last month at $250/roll and I average 190 round bales per roll.

How much are you paying for plastic string and how many rolls do you get per ball?
I get 50 bales at 23.80, so .47 per bale. I didn't realize you got that many wraps from a roll.

Latest posts