Best app for feed rations?

Help Support CattleToday:

Josher

Reaction score
I've been wondering if any of you have an app you like and would recommend for coming up with different feed blends. This drought has me looking at all options. Going for a straw based diet but need to find the most cost effective way to supplement and get protein up.

I've been wondering if any of you have an app you like and would recommend for coming up with different feed blends. This drought has me looking at all options. Going for a straw based diet but need to find the most cost effective way to supplement and get protein up.
Josher some on here use to download a free program fromOklahoma State University. I know nothing about it but you might give it a try.

We use cowbytes, Gov't of Alberta developed it I believe.

Best straw based ration for breds I came up with was straw with about 3lbs of bean culls (28%protein). Was able to buy the bean culls for a little under .12/lb delivered out of North Dakota. If at all possible/available almost any wild hay put up well is a huge improvement over straw if the price isn't exponentially higher (we have a lot of swamp land in close proximity). Stay away from Canola.

If you are good with spreadsheets, here are the instructions for and the Excel Spreadsheet from OSU.
Lot's of nutritional analysis and ability to add more of your own. I have used it on all my freezer beef feeding and it worked out well.
Good luck.

Attachments

• OSU_Ration_Calculator_2013.zip
    194.9 KB · Views: 14
We use cowbytes, Gov't of Alberta developed it I believe.

Best straw based ration for breds I came up with was straw with about 3lbs of bean culls (28%protein). Was able to buy the bean culls for a little under .12/lb delivered out of North Dakota. If at all possible/available almost any wild hay put up well is a huge improvement over straw if the price isn't exponentially higher (we have a lot of swamp land in close proximity). Stay away from Canola.
Is that canola hay you are referring to? I have some canola meal as a protein source left over for last time I had to supplement, it was the best bang for the buck as a protein source at the time. Have you had any experience with that as a protein source, if so how did you find it, Canada being the home of canola.

Ken

Is that canola hay you are referring to? I have some canola meal as a protein source left over for last time I had to supplement, it was the best bang for the buck as a protein source at the time. Have you had any experience with that as a protein source, if so how did you find it, Canada being the home of canola.

Ken
Canola straw - it takes more energy to digest than it has in it. This year there's a lot of Canola silage bales around too with so many crops failing and being written off by crop insurance. That's often a risky one too because most people underestimate how long.they should allow it to dry before wrapping. With our climate you end up with green blocks of ice or black moulded crap.

I've heard good things about Canola meal and I have a nutrient analysis for it kicking around somewhere (we looked at buying some last year) - it's good stuff if I remember but it tends to be priced a little too high vs things like DDG's or grain if you don't need that much protein. It just seems like something is always cheaper which isn't surprising considering Canola itself is over $20/bushel.

Thanks for the replies I can't get these programs to work on my phone they must be meant for computers. My computer internet is so slow which is why I was avoiding it but maybe I'll just try anyways. And I had been planning on feeding oats and barley straw mixed with molasses( undecided yet) and then canola silage bales, wheat bale, hay. Wanting to feed mostly straw though. Haven't ever fed beans before, sounds like good option. I was considering canola meal but it was just a bit pricey

Thanks for the replies I can't get these programs to work on my phone they must be meant for computers. My computer internet is so slow which is why I was avoiding it but maybe I'll just try anyways. And I had been planning on feeding oats and barley straw mixed with molasses( undecided yet) and then canola silage bales, wheat bale, hay. Wanting to feed mostly straw though. Haven't ever fed beans before, sounds like good option. I was considering canola meal but it was just a bit pricey
Cowbytes works offline but you have to buy it. $50 I believe, it's easy to save that much using it though. I wouldn't be without software and feed testing after using them, there's just too much money to lose either overfeeding or underfeeding cattle. Beans are a good option but you can only feed up to a certain amount/HD/day. Do some research on anything you buy in that's unfamiliar.

Latest posts