Best antibiotic for pneumonia in calves

Help Support CattleToday:

copperpenny

Reaction score
We have a 4 week old calf with pneumonia - 103 degree temperature, rapid shallow breathing, refused to eat this AM.

We have:

LA 200
Nuflor
Excenel (Naxcel)
Tylan 200
Banamine (which we know to use in conjunction with the antibiotic).

Also, dosage, method of delivery (seems folks can't agree on IM or SubQ on some of these), and frequency of dosage.

thank you very much.

Edited to add: We have been breeding Boer and Dairy goats for 10 years so are very conversant with animal care, prevention, antibiotics etc. Have been raising calves for 3 years now, just haven't had many issues, hence the need for help - just thought this might save time/posting space if you knew you didn't have to start at the very beginning for us. ;-)

I would give 6cc of nuflor & 2cc of Banamine then skip 2 days & give same treatment again
IMO nuflor is the best of ur options for respiratory infections

Strange his temp isn't higher with pn'a but perhaps he's on the backside of it.
Nuflor is likely your best bet and I would give it SQ at 6cc per 100wt. If you gave it IM, the dosage is 3cc per 100wt and then repeat in two days.
Excenel is also excellent for respiratory issues but you would have to give it every day for 3-5 days.
I don't know if I would give the Banamine as it's used as a fever reducer and his temp isn't really that high. It wouldn't hurt to give it though and might prevent some lung damage.
Is he mouth breathing? Grinding his teeth?

Went with the Nuflor at 6cc/100 lb SQ and banamine at 1cc/100 lb - banamine was given both AM and PM to prevent lung damage.

This morning he is sucking his milk down avidly and is much perkier. We will redose him tomorrow (at 48 hours).
Strange to give Nuflor 48 hours apart rather than 24 hours apart (goats have faster metabolisms so need to have drugs given more frequently.).

Thank you so much for your help.

BTW, he never ground his teeth. Yes, he was mouth breathing/rapid shallow breathing.

I wouldn't stop with 2 treatments. If he is that bad probably needs to be treated for 10 days.

Larry

Texas PaPaw":1c2816pc said:
I would give 6cc of nuflor & 2cc of Banamine then skip 2 days & give same treatment again
IMO nuflor is the best of ur options for respiratory infections

Exactly what I would have done. Plus separate from others except the dam.

Latest posts