Best Angus cross

Help Support CattleToday:

mrvictordomino":3tzwbmvk said:
As the IBC increases you will see some regression. That is only negative if you are breeding commercial
cattle and you are not cross breeding. If more breeds were more concentrated with higher IBC, then when
crossed you would see maximum heterosis achieved. If pounds were my major and foremost goal, I would
not be breeding my cattle the way I am. The commercial cattlemen will get the benefits of a planned
linebreeding program and I will have a consistant set of cattle.
DM
I agree with everything you're saying but at what point, or rather at what IBC%, would you start experiencing diminishing returns per say?... whereas the prior generation was more prepotent?

Massey135":15l4bgqw said:
mrvictordomino":15l4bgqw said:
As the IBC increases you will see some regression. That is only negative if you are breeding commercial
cattle and you are not cross breeding. If more breeds were more concentrated with higher IBC, then when
crossed you would see maximum heterosis achieved. If pounds were my major and foremost goal, I would
not be breeding my cattle the way I am. The commercial cattlemen will get the benefits of a planned
linebreeding program and I will have a consistant set of cattle.
DM
I agree with everything you're saying but at what point, or rather at what IBC%, would you start experiencing diminishing returns per say?... whereas the prior generation was more prepotent?

The only way to have progeny less prepotent than parentstock is to make an outcross.

Massey135-

At the point where the panel of Genomic-Enhanced profiles ((SNP's - single-nucleotide polymorphisims) selected for Mulitple Traits deviate from your previously-selected mating protocols! Notice the bolded font on Multiple Traits!! . That point is probably a result of a breeding selection error on the part of the breeder! If you can accept and subscribe to the importance of focusing on MULTIPLE BREEDING TRAIT SELECTION PROTOCOLS and totally ignore single trait thinking in your seedstock improvement plans - you will understand the long term results of all of the discussions in this thread!

If you will take a deep breath, relax, and accept the fact that the majority of the hard work in improving seedstock genomic selection tools has been, and is being improved upon constantly by a lot of people who are smarter than you and I put together, then you should see remarkably improved results.

But - it is not easy to "stay the course!"

DOC HARRIS