Best Angus cow maker bulls?

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Looking ahead to spring, what are some good angus bulls that would make outstanding cows? I've heard Hoover Dam is good and have him picked for a few but what would be some other good angus bulls? Looking to make thick wide top, easy fleshing replacements with good temperaments. Thanks!

A bull that I feel gets overlooked is SAV Pioneer 7301, his daughters are doing a great job for us. BC Matrix 4132 will leave you with some excellent replacements. The Resource daughters we have in production are doing a heck of a good job.

Gizmom

Connealy Capitalist at Select Sires
highly proven .97 accuracy
Short, wide base Final Answer son, a honest cow maker, use him on taller cows to make better balanced
easier fleshing cattle with good width.

Heifer safe
doc 16 (breed average is doc 14 so he doesn't hurt dispositions)
high fertility daughters hp 14 top 10%
milk 21
$EN 8 (top 20%)
$W 65 (top 10%)

$30 Limited semen availability, so if you want to use him you'll need to pre order for spring.

p.s.
Select also has a semi proven Capitalist son, Coleman Venture $20 doc 29 he might be good too.

IMO, first step is to decide your resource base for your cows. How much energy are in your forages, and how much do you plan to supplement? You also need to consider your marketing strategy. Are you selling breeding stock, or weaned calves at the local market? Some high production bloodlines will not optimize profit in a low input system, but might work quite well selling backgrounded calves or breeding stock. Also, some animals that will prosper in the sandhills of Nebraska, might not in the sandy soils of southern florida. Getting down to the specifics will get you closer to your ranch making a profit.

Hoover dam, pioneer, black granite, resource/renown make excellent females. Would take 100 of them and be in good shape for herd. I also like my prophet females.

Warrior2154":1dhrfik8 said:
Hoover dam, pioneer, black granite, resource/renown make excellent females. Would take 100 of them and be in good shape for herd. I also like my prophet females.

I have 2 Prophet heifers that calved in July and both have terrific bull calves on them and best still both have gone back in calf on 1st synchronised AI. I think they are shaping up to be pretty handy cows.

Ken

Capitalist is our top choice, SOB covered it well. Sometimes limited with him though because of running into other Final Answer influence quite often

I'm curious of the fleshing ability and temporment of the capitalist daughters?
Do his calving numbers seem about right, safe to use on heifers?

artesianspringsfarm":2lnubpm2 said:
Ebenezer":2lnubpm2 said:
kdpihf":2lnubpm2 said:
Alap of Wye, awesome cow maker
Tell about the sons. Full disclosure is best.

Ok, I'll bite. What do you think is the issue with his sons. Also, what's the title of this thread again? :D
The genetics you bring into your herd stays in your herd via the heifers you keep. Alap can sire a total void of scrotal and both testicles up to one only or OK. I do not want that in my cow herd so the title is what it is but you 'd better watch out, you'd better not cry, use the wrong maternal grandsire, I'm telling you why ... :santa: My source of the info: the late Ed Oliver. Ed loved the bull and used him a lot. Good for whomever wants that to pop back up in a generation or two.

Ebenezer":3d8k06zz said:
artesianspringsfarm":3d8k06zz said:
Ebenezer":3d8k06zz said:
Tell about the sons. Full disclosure is best.

Ok, I'll bite. What do you think is the issue with his sons. Also, what's the title of this thread again? :D
The genetics you bring into your herd stays in your herd via the heifers you keep. Alap can sire a total void of scrotal and both testicles up to one only or OK. I do not want that in my cow herd so the title is what it is but you 'd better watch out, you'd better not cry, use the wrong maternal grandsire, I'm telling you why ... :santa: My source of the info: the late Ed Oliver. Ed loved the bull and used him a lot. Good for whomever wants that to pop back up in a generation or two.

So even for all the things that Ed loved about Alap, you've decided that the one anecdotal knock that Ed had on the bull is reason enough for you not to use him even though Ed went back to the well over and over? On a related note, did you know Ed well or ever see the Oliver herd? I'm sad that I never made it down there to meet him in person but glad to see his project carrying on, Alap and all.

artesianspringsfarm":3mrgml2d said:
Ebenezer":3mrgml2d said:
artesianspringsfarm":3mrgml2d said:

So even for all the things that Ed loved about Alap, you've decided that the one anecdotal knock that Ed had on the bull is reason enough for you not to use him even though Ed went back to the well over and over? On a related note, did you know Ed well or ever see the Oliver herd? I'm sad that I never made it down there to meet him in person but glad to see his project carrying on, Alap and all.

the one anecdotal knock
A known genetic defect, not a knock. Are you willing to bring any known genetic defect into your herd? I'm not going to live long enough to get it cleared back out. Maybe you will. Have at it. Never met Ed in person but had a run of long and data/genetic type phone conversations over the years. I also sampled Alap before I knew the scoop. Passion is good. I do not set up any breeding plans based on passion. It costs too much.

Dixie
I have not bred Resource to any heifers but haven't had any issues with cows and the calves have not been extreme. I actually averaged the weights of all the Resource calves last year and the average was in the mid 70's. The daughters here have been fertile breeding up as heifers then breeding back on first AI service after their first calf. I am also a fan of Recharge they come smaller we have used on heifers with no issues.

Gizmom

Tbrake, capitalist is fine for most first calf heifers. Calves are born pretty stout though so I wouldn't use him in a cross breeding situation this far north. I have daughters coming with their second calf here. Good dispositioned, good mother's, they flesh well. I used him to take a little milk out and he did that though no dry ones. He is breed average for udder quality.

Dixie2542":rrfhrfcg said:
what are some good angus bulls that would make outstanding cows?
I've heard Hoover Dam is good and have him picked for a few but what would be some other good angus bulls?
Looking to make thick wide top, easy fleshing replacements with good temperaments. Thanks!
S Chisum at Genex $20
He makes stout, fleshy, efficient cows $EN 20 (top 5%) without giving up anything on cw 63 (top 3%)
ce 5 he's not heifer safe, but his daughters are wide with cem 14 (top 4%)
doc 24 (top 15%)
milk 20
$W 82 (top 1%)
he's an outcross to most (Alliance x Eclipse (a line bred son of Traveler 6807) x Right Time)
proven .97 accuracy

Latest posts