Best Angus bull for heifers ...

Help Support CattleToday:

torogmc81

Reaction score
..... that has mating flexibility (more specifically non FA sons/grand), big time ACC. A bull that gives you that feeling of maximum "heifer safe" combined with "not wasting a calf".

I recently bought Connealy Courage for our FA influenced, but I want a different bull honestly. We still have a young herd and continue to keep many heifers to build.

I like Whitlock but I'd rather use him and Hoover Dam on 2nd timers. Whitlock's numbers are likely to come down (CED) IMHO.

We have Capitalist 316 for non FA.

First that came to mind was SAV Bismark.
Any other thoughts or suggestions?

I used some Manning 17831034
Concord 18148348
Jindra Acclaim 17972810

No specific reason, Concord and Manning just got my attention.
Acclaim bred my grandsons heifers to him, if Acclaim works out he could have some great numbers to start a herd at 2yrs old and if Acclaim doesn't work he will have time to correct it.

I like Hoover Dam really well, have used for 3 consecutive years, in the past and used a home raised son as a clean up bull. Kept a couple daughters that have been good dependable cows.
Kesslers Frontman, also from ABS is one that worked well with our heifers too, we used a son out of a Final Answer daughter, for a couple years.

I used musgrave aviator this time on my heifers but Aviator is a FA grand son. I'm no line breeding expert but I think first cousins would be fine?
One of my heifers is a gr-gr- grand daughter of FA. Hope that's ok. The others had no FA in pedigree

Midtenn":3pft6b8c said:
I used musgrave aviator this time on my heifers but Aviator is a FA grand son. I'm no line breeding expert but I think first cousins would be fine?
One of my heifers is a gr-gr- grand daughter of FA. Hope that's ok. The others had no FA in pedigree
I'm not sure either but would love to get some input on the FA breeding from Aviator

Looks like Origen carries Aviator. Did ABS or someone used to carryhim?

Should be good on fescue coming from Musgrave. I like what i see, just might have to watch his 5.1 frame on a few of mine.
Thanks for pointing him out

Midtenn":17kplotk said:
I used musgrave aviator this time on my heifers but Aviator is a FA grand son.
I'm no line breeding expert but I think would be fine?
One of my heifers is a gr-gr- grand daughter of FA. Hope that's ok.
Using a FA son on a FA maternal granddaughter would be recommended when line breeding.
So the FA that much farther back in the pedigrees should not cause you concern.

torogmc81":94unb8kv said:
..... that has mating flexibility (more specifically non FA sons/grand), big time ACC. A bull that gives you that feeling of maximum "heifer safe" combined with "not wasting a calf".

I recently bought Connealy Courage for our FA influenced, but I want a different bull honestly. We still have a young herd and continue to keep many heifers to build.

I like Whitlock but I'd rather use him and Hoover Dam on 2nd timers. Whitlock's numbers are likely to come down (CED) IMHO.

We have Capitalist 316 for non FA.

First that came to mind was SAV Bismark.
Any other thoughts or suggestions?

Those Bismarck pink straws would work for you just fine if you can get your hands on them! :D

I agree with you on Whitlock.

bse":2r2hoouv said:
I used some Manning 17831034
Concord 18148348
Jindra Acclaim 17972810

No specific reason, Concord and Manning just got my attention.
Acclaim bred my grandsons heifers to him, if Acclaim works out he could have some great numbers to start a herd at 2yrs old and if Acclaim doesn't work he will have time to correct it.

I bought some eggs using Acclaim. Let me know how yours look. I'm probably going to wait until the fall to put them in.

S A F, I'll let you know, mine won't be here till Sept, but I should be seeing a few others around April.

Latest posts