Best angus breeder

Help Support CattleToday:

dompeters84

Reaction score
Ok guy,

In you opinion who are the best black angus breeders in the country and why?

angus9259":1vddjk7h said:
I am . . . . at least that's what it says on my business card.
Thats how everyone should feel about their cattle...Disappointing if you are breeding stuff you don't like... :???: ;-)

dompeters84- ask a dozen angus folks and you will probably get a dozen different answers...Mainly because the angus breed have cattle of all types, shapes, and sizes to meet the differing management and enviromental situations of each person..

My answer to you would be Ohlde, Diamond D, Shoshone, Wye, Cole Creek, the old N Bar Ranch (now Sinclair) and some others that utililyze a lot of the same type breeding...
I pick those because they all have a long term record and reputation for breeding good moderate framed maternal cattle that can survive and thrive most efficiently in my what can often be harsh enviroment...

Massey135":2lsliu4i said:

We have one Felix granddaughter that my son bought from Whitney Creek Angus... Since both Larry and Keeney quit registering their cattle- or selling registration certificates on the semen the Felix breeding is harder to find..

100_0241-1.jpg

Heres a picture of her taken a couple of days ago out grazing the old hay meadows - W C R Katherines Lass 017X AAA # 16769667 ... So far she sure is showing herself to be a nice quiet easy keeper- a 4 frame ...She's due to have her first calf in the spring- and we will see over the next few years what she can do...

Oldtimer":1afln5dl said:
Massey135":1afln5dl said:

We have one Felix granddaughter that my son bought from Whitney Creek Angus... Since both Larry and Keeney quit registering their cattle- or selling registration certificates on the semen the Felix breeding is harder to find..

100_0241-1.jpg

Heres a picture of her taken a couple of days ago out grazing the old hay meadows - W C R Katherines Lass 017X AAA # 16769667 ... So far she sure is showing herself to be a nice quiet easy keeper- a 4 frame ...She's due to have her first calf in the spring- and we will see over the next few years what she can do...
Take note, Ladies and Gents: This is what an Angus is supposed to look like!

Massey135":2s77cukx said:
Oldtimer":2s77cukx said:
Massey135":2s77cukx said:

100_0241-1.jpg

Take note, Ladies and Gents: This is what an Angus is supposed to look like!

Thank You Massey135-- I guess only time will tell what kind of cow she makes..

The same day I took a picture of a little cow that my son bought from Cole Creek Angus...She's not as pretty as the heifer- but so far has been a worker...If I could have all like her I would be happy....A true 4 frame cow that would probably not weigh much over 1100lbs (if that even) that has brought in all 3 calves she's had so far at an actual weaning weight of over 600lbs- which included a bull I'm using now (Lazy Bar B Juanada Rito 06X #16741353) that weaned at 690...
Cole Creek Juanadamere 5U #15822851

Again only time will tell if she can keep on doing that- but so far I sure am pleased with her..

100_0246-1.jpg

The same day I took a picture of a little cow that my son bought from Cole Creek Angus...She's not as pretty as the heifer- but so far has been a worker...If I could have all like her I would be happy....A true 4 frame cow that would probably not weigh much over 1100lbs (if that even) that has brought in all 3 calves she's had so far at an actual weaning weight of over 600lbs- which included a bull I'm using now (Lazy Bar B Juanada Rito 06X #16741353) that weaned at 690...Cole Creek Juanadamere 5U #15822851

Again only time will tell if she can keep on doing that- but so far I sure am pleased with her..

100_0246-1.jpg
[/quote]

looks like you have a nice set of cows and i'm impressed with the numbers, really impressed!

Rishel (B/R), GAR, Woodhill, Connealy, because they have bred excellent cattle.

I am but a lowly commercial cattleman and buy all of my replacements, I have mostly Gar in my crossbreed cows but was wondering where SAV would rank in this discussion and why? Just curious as I have never had anything with their bloodlines that I know of.

If it was who's the best on here I have to think Old Timer would give em a run for their money.

There's a couple of others here who also qualify.

3waycross":3rgasvza said:
If it was who's the best on here I have to think Old Timer would give em a run for their money.

There's a couple of others here who also qualify.

Thank you 3waycross... I like our direction- but know there are miles and years to go before I get to where I would like to be...

Thing is- this year I can't even say much about out "what can often be harsh" enviroment yet.... Got down to 0 last night- 27 above today-- Tomorrow supposed to be in the 30's.... Temp for the next 15 days is predicted at temps in the high 20's/mid 30's with lows in the teens...

Temp on Christmas day is supposed to be around 40...

Since the picture was taken we picked up about an inch of snow on the ground....Cows still out grazing-altho the grass lacks a lot of the normal ooomph and I lost some meadows to the spring flood- so am feeding about 10 lbs a day....Last year at this time we had 2 FEET of snow- had been feeding for a month- and were having to plow snow about every 2nd/3rd day because of another storm...

Its definitely looking like a very MERRY CHRISTMAS- and even a start of a good to the NEW YEAR!

I hope everyone has the same !

you know imo there is no one size fits all in the angus breed. It would depend on what you like in an angus cow. i like a 5 frame. fertile cow with longevity built in. a lot of modern angus are anything but. read an ad for a dispersal sale in the angus journal this month, they were bragging there average mama cow age was 3 and a half years old. i am sure they wanted me to think they had the most modern genetics in there herd, but for some reason i thought that might be why they were selling out.

I like both the cows you pictured, but I don't ever remember you posting one I didn't like you have a good program and it shows in the consistency of your cattle. I am glad you are getting a break with the weather this year, it has been crazy here 70's one day then 40's the next. I hope you and yours have a wonderful Christmas. As to Angus Breeders, I would say I agree with you the old N Bar (now Sinclair) they are doing a good job and sticking to a program so does Ohlde. I would say an up and comer in this category would be Coleman Angus they are putting together a really good program.

Gizmom

Nice cattle Andybob. I like that first bull.

Another member we can't forget is KMcGinley. Some real goos Angus genetics!