"Best" age to castrate bull calves?

Help Support CattleToday:

SPH":2ylbc8zl said:
We castrate a few weeks after weaning when we have the vet out for preg checking. That has given us enough time to evaluate the bull calves now that we've have collected weaning data on them and make our decisions on which ones to keep intact to develop as bulls to sell and which ones need to be cut and sent to the feedlot. Never have used bands, our vet will cut and disinfect and never have had any infection problems with him. And while I'm not a big fan of them, dad saves the nuts to fry up some rocky mountain oysters.
The fries are the tastiest cuts on a beef if cooked correctly. Gives you something to look forward to after working them

Lazy M":3jo2dan3 said:
SPH":3jo2dan3 said:
We castrate a few weeks after weaning when we have the vet out for preg checking. That has given us enough time to evaluate the bull calves now that we've have collected weaning data on them and make our decisions on which ones to keep intact to develop as bulls to sell and which ones need to be cut and sent to the feedlot. Never have used bands, our vet will cut and disinfect and never have had any infection problems with him. And while I'm not a big fan of them, dad saves the nuts to fry up some rocky mountain oysters.
The fries are the tastiest cuts on a beef if cooked correctly. Gives you something to look forward to after working them

Yeah I've ate them before and they don't taste bad but they just not my favorite thing to eat. Dad likes to batter and fry them up, he knows a guy who owns a small diner that likes them and makes a good batter so he makes a deal with him that he'll share them if he does the cooking.

SPH":3bsykuja said:
Lazy M":3bsykuja said:
SPH":3bsykuja said:

Yeah I've ate them before and they don't taste bad but they just not my favorite thing to eat. Dad likes to batter and fry them up, he knows a guy who owns a small diner that likes them and makes a good batter so he makes a deal with him that he'll share them if he does the cooking.

I know of several towns around the NW that have "testicle festivals". Takes a lot of bulls turned into steers to provide for the dinners. I have also eaten my share of them cooked fresh on the top of the branding iron oven. The dust, rust, and hair doesn't really enhance the flavor but you got to eat what is available.

That's why you need to wait until they're about 700 lbs to cut them so you can get more bang for the buck. I will say that leftover fries need to be tossed to the dogs though, no good if not fresh.