Bermuda sprig or over seed

Help Support CattleToday:

plbcattle

Reaction score
I seeded some cheyenne bermuda last year. Not much growth with the drought. I have heard it is a great grass for the south. I was wondering for those of you who sprig grass, do you get a better stand, any earlier grazing, and what is the cost difference. also is the costal the best grass to have sprigs put down. i heard that the world feeder is good also.

If your north of Little Rock use something besides coastal, it might freeze out. MPR is right about world feeder .
Try Tifton or let your seeded grass have one more year.

I put in a couple of acre's of world feeder bemuda about 3 year's ago. And in my opinion it is over rated. What i done was sprayed the whole feild with round up. After everything was dead i took a disc and tore the ground up. I can not remember how much a bushel it cost me. But the guy i bought the sprig's from had a sprig digger and he loaded them right onto a sixteen foot utility trailer. We took and scattered the sprig's by hand. We done this i think right about the first week of April. Timing is critical when spriging grass. If you sprig to early and you have to cool of night's the sprig's will rot. Sprig to late and you might not get enogh rain to get them started.

I am planning on sometime in the near future spriging about ten acre's of Tiffton 44. I can irrigate out of a pond that i just had built if needed. One thing i will say about the world feeder that i am impressed with is that it seems to do will in hot dry weather. It seems to stay green when the native bemuda is dead looking. And it seems to start growing a couple weeks before native bemuda does. Maybe tolerates cold a little better. But all and all here in North West Arkansas i think Tifton 44 is a excellent bemuda grass to go with. That is just my opinion.