bermuda seeds

Help Support CattleToday:

dane12

Reaction score
I need to plant 10ac with some Bermuda.got a 50# bag today($400 later) with only 5 pounds pr acre how do you get it spread.thinking about handspreading it.not sure i can adjust my seeder to only 5 pounds pr acre also thinking about mixing it in with fertlizer.since it darn expensive i dont want to waste anything.any good ideas?

You might have better results if you find someone with a grain drill with a small seed box on it. Some of the old JD have this attachement. I can plant turnip seed at a rate of 4 lbs/acre and they are tiny.

Also, I think, if you do mix it with fertilizer it will not sling as far as the fertilizer due to its small size and you may end up stripping the field some.

I guess you've already put your seed out, but if not here's something that works as good as anything: Get a hand held, hand cranked $15 plastic seed broadcaster that holds about a gallon of seed from walmart and sit on the tailgate of your truck operating the broadcaster while somebody with a good sense of direction drives the truck back and forth in the field.

Jogeephus":35tham2z said:
You might have better results if you find someone with a grain drill with a small seed box on it. Some of the old JD have this attachement. I can plant turnip seed at a rate of 4 lbs/acre and they are tiny.

Also, I think, if you do mix it with fertilizer it will not sling as far as the fertilizer due to its small size and you may end up stripping the field some.
That's true Jo, you have to cut your swath with and let the fert. overlap you just cut the fert. rate back to compensate. It's not the best way but it will do. I've seen great results using a airplane if they are available but that is not an option in lots of the country. What is the # of the drill you use?

jedstivers":3qmgwx16 said:
Jogeephus":3qmgwx16 said:

That's true Jo, you have to cut your swath with and let the fert. overlap you just cut the fert. rate back to compensate. It's not the best way but it will do. I've seen great results using a airplane if they are available but that is not an option in lots of the country. What is the # of the drill you use?

I don't really know. There is very little paint left on it. It is a JD though. Very well built but I think it it used to belong to Noah.

HerefordSire":eq2nqzxu said:
Sounds like you bought the good stuff. Cheyenne?
this is what i got will put it down sometime next week I think i will try to use my grain drill and just use one of the compartment on as a low a setting as i can.

Buckaroo bermudagrass is a blend of Giant, Mohawk, and Common bermudagrass. This mixture was put together in 2002 to help improve the forage production of straight Giant bermudagrass. Mohawk offers more cold tolerance. Mohawk and Common are more aggressive than Giant in lateral growth. The protein content depends on the management of the stand but the blend does produce more leaf and less stems compared to straight Giant. It does well on many types of ground, but does very well on light soils. This blend is especially useful for areas which are continually grazed.

Once established is very drought, heat and salt tolerant with some cold tolerance due to Mohawk in the blend. Cultural management of Buckaroo bermudagrass is much like that of Coastal Bermudagrass, a vegetative pasture bermudagrass. This Blend is especially useful for areas which are continually grazed.
Unlike other available forage bermudagrasses Buckaroo is not coated which means you have a purity of 98% seed and not 50%.

ga. prime":2xu0dv8w said:
I guess you've already put your seed out, but if not here's something that works as good as anything: Get a hand held, hand cranked $15 plastic seed broadcaster that holds about a gallon of seed from walmart and sit on the tailgate of your truck operating the broadcaster while somebody with a good sense of direction drives the truck back and forth in the field.

Thats what I did on a 10 acre plot a couple years ago. I think it worked fine. You just half to figure your speed vs. crank rate.

I have an old Herd seeder that will throw small to large seed at recomended rates, these newer funnel seeders are a joke for clover, bermuda and small seed.

Latest posts