Bermuda question..N.texas

Help Support CattleToday:

texanstraders

Reaction score
I have a pasture that has a "decent" stand of bermuda (coastal) in most of it. Sill has some spots that don't have much good bermuda. I have sprayed the last 2 springs for weed control and fertilized. Would I benefit from running a disc over the pasture in early spring ? My thoughts are to loosen up the soil a bit and to stimulate the roots a bit..Am I off base or is there something better I can do. I keep the cows off the pasture most of the time and cut hay off it. Thanks

Have you had soil sample taken to check PH. I don't think scratching with a disc will do any harm unless rainfall is inadequate.

Can't go wrong with a soil test!!

What kind of soil do you have? Is it hardpack or sandy.

How long has the grass been growing in that pasture? Must be for at least 2 years, I assume.
And, how many "spots" do you have that do not have grass ?
I would say sprig it... (if all you are wanting is bermuda ) and hope you get some good rain on it. It should have no problem taking off when the weather gets warmer.

Disking will make it thicker if done before a rain. I plan on doing mine this spring also, if it ever rains again.

novatech":2ka8ql8e said:
Disking will make it thicker if done before a rain. I plan on doing mine this spring also, if it ever rains again.

What do you think of our chances this weekend?

1982vett":uljzwm04 said:
novatech":uljzwm04 said:

What do you think of our chances this weekend?
20 to 30% but I won't believe anything until I feel mud squashing between my toes.
I had extra hay. Looks like it's not going to be extra any more. At least a month ago it was humid. Now the warm dry air along with the wind is sucking the life out of everything.

I'm thinking the time is right. It's been 30 days since the last rain. If it doesn't, then that puts it around 40 days between. Haven't gone that long since summer of '06. Big negative I see right now is these high winds. Rarely has rained behind them but It did happen at least once last summer. Forecast I watch has narrowed the days to Sunday - Tuesday. Have taken Wednesday out.

Getting harder to be optimistic as each day goes by.

so would you disk now or wait until spring.would you disk it light or heavy?

I just use a harrow disk in the spring with it set straight. It may be a little early now. I will do mine in about a month.
I saw a man deep disk then harrow disk his. Almost looked like he was trying to kill it. It turned out to be an extremely thick stand.
You do have to remember that if you disk and it does not rain you are risking killing it off. That is the reason I set my disk to only cut the tillers not plow it up.

novatech":27gmlo02 said:
You do have to remember that if you disk and it does not rain you are risking killing it off. That is the reason I set my disk to only cut the tillers not plow it up.

Good point! If anyone has been without rain in a long time, disturbing the soil will only serve to dry it out even more. Although some of the bermuda roots get down pretty deep, it would take a long while to come back if at all.

Thanks..And yes I have the clay soils. I will wait and disc it with a straight disc. I didn't bail that pasture in september because we had so much hay put up and I left it for grazing. I will probably cut it low and then disc it about a month before we spray. I had always heard that if you "cut" the bermuda roots it would make the grass stronger, because it would develop more roots..but you know, sometimes the "stuff" you hear isn't always the best...

Latest posts