bermuda hay

Help Support CattleToday:

C & C Land & Catt

Reaction score
We are having problems with our bermuda hay production. It is not producing like we would like. We fertilize and spray acording to soil tests. What we were wondering is if anybody out there aerates and if it helps. We heard the lawson aerator works good but have never used one. Any info on if it works, where to get one, or anything else related would be gratefully appreciated.
Thanx Austin

We used a renovator on our hay field once a year for the past 2 years and have seen an increase in hay production. We also fertilize acording to soil samples but have not sprayed the hayfield.

Using an aerator with any success depends on your soil type also. We borrowed one from a friend that has very sandy pastures that swears by it, but we didn't notice an improvement in our blackland soils.

Have had mixed results with aeration. I had one field that I could never seem to get regenerated. On that field I went in and completely disc it up and fetilized lightly 100-150 lbs per acre. We got the best stand we had ever got off that field 10 to 12 rolls per acre. This was a very old hay field the only thing we could come with is that the ground had gotten packed as hard as concrete over the years.

Does aeration help? Thats a hard question. One year you may swear by it, the next year you may not see improvement. It's hard to take all the factors into account. I aerate my pastures from time to time and have seen good results. But was the rain fall better during that period than it was the year that I didn't aerate? Did I throw my fertilizer at just the right time where it saoked in good or did a big rain wash most of it in the ditch?
I know if you fertilize right after you aerate some of it will go into the holes and thats good.
I havn't heard of it having a negative affect. I still do it periodically because I believe it helps with soil compaction, and it doesn't hurt if the grass happens to grow better grows better.

A few years after we sprigged our hay meadow with Coastal we aerated the meadow with they type of areator that drags little plows below the surface of the ground making little strips. Did not see any change until one day looking at it in just the right light could see where the Coastal had spread in line patterns just like the aerator pattern.

So I do believe it helps spread Coastal at least in our type of soil which is just sand.

we have an aerway & renovate the hay fields as well as some of the pastureland because that's where the cows really pack the ground down. i would say if you're doing everything else right & your ground is suitable for growing bermuda, then even if it doesn't help, it probably won't hurt :D

txag":2qaqyxso said:
we have an aerway & renovate the hay fields as well as some of the pastureland because that's where the cows really pack the ground down. i would say if you're doing everything else right & your ground is suitable for growing bermuda, then even if it doesn't help, it probably won't hurt :D
It seems to me that it would have to help, even if you don't notice it right away, as CherokeeRuby stated. You are getting nutrients and moisture right at the roots.

Latest posts