Bermuda Hay Analysis

Help Support CattleToday:

bolsen":20hmmah1 said:
I aint a liar how you gonna sit there and call me a liar when you dont even know me
Like a thief in the night. Gone before we really got to know him!

Txag, you may be right, but alot of horses might disagree. What few horses I feed, like hay that has been cut to reach its highest tdn. Lets take Jiggs hay. That would mean that it has been fertilized and is cut before it starts to get mature. Which means less production, but the hay producer has every right to expect more money because he has reduced production in favor of quality.

houstoncutter":2kqtbz2l said:
Txag, you may be right, but alot of horses might disagree. What few horses I feed, like hay that has been cut to reach its highest tdn.

you think cows don't prefer this too? most cows have preferences as well. just because they prefer it doesn't mean they must have it (i'd prefer to drive a Lexus but doesn't mean that's what i get). i don't feed any horses but imo the whole term "horse quality" is a farce that got started because people didn't know enough about buying hay to question the nutrition content but were told they should ask for "horse quality" & had no idea what that meant.

on the other hand, why should you feed anything crappy hay? we sell coastal hay that is "horse quality" in the sense that you first alluded to.......high protein, no weeds, heavily fertilized, cut before maturity. when we sell it we price it as high-quality hay & all buyers (cattle & horse) pay the same price. the only time a horse owner may pay more for our hay is if we've already stacked it in the barn.....then the price goes up!

Do any of you know anybody that has successfully raised it in the more northern portions of east Texas?

AZ, years ago, one of my old uncles was raising alfalfa up in Fannin County, near the town of Savoy, just south of the Red River. I haven't seen any lately, however. I did see some alfalfa small square bales at the feedstore last Saturday. They were getting $9.50 a bale and only had two left. Somebody must be making some money out of that deal.

Txag, of course cattle will prefer this hay and will consume more of it. The problem with some hay growers, is that they advertise one thing and sell another. I test everything and its amazing how some hay producers run like a scalded dog when they find out your going to test. I know there are some good hay producers in my area, but they are truly raising high quality hay that I cant afford to feed to dry cows. Its the other guys who raise hay that make it so difficult to buy hay in our area

Latest posts