Bermuda Hay Analysis

Help Support CattleToday:

Running Arrow Bill

Reaction score
Will appreciate comments from anyone!!

We've ordered an additional 25 round bales of bermuda hay from a producer in N. Central Texas area (fertilized, "weed free").

Their analysis was:

Protein: 11.4 to 16 % range
TDN: 57.9 to 64.8

What do you think of this hay?

Thanks!

excelent.... for 1000 lb. lactating brood cow no supplement needed unless body ocndition is poor at calving.... feed hay free choice with minerals availiable...

sounds like good hay to me . I sell over 1000 round rolls a year to horse customers and feed and custom bale another 1000 for local cattleman . I generally run around 10 - 12% on my hay here in NC on coastal bermuda . It is very good coastal that goes above 13% protien . the TDN was good . You should also know the nitrate level on heavy fertilized hay before you feed it . It can really send your cows down fast if they get nitrate poision.

That sounds like very good hay to me Bill... here in central Texas it's hard to find coastal that will test over about 7-9% protein. I suspect it's because fertilizer is so expensive!

TheBullLady":1uhprngl said:
That sounds like very good hay to me Bill... here in central Texas it's hard to find coastal that will test over about 7-9% protein. I suspect it's because fertilizer is so expensive!

Probably true. Early in 2003 we had bought 52 rounds of Bluestem from local at good price. Was "emergency" purchase. Turned out analysis was probably only 6-8% and we used a LOT of 20% cubes to supplement protein.

Properly fertilized hay sells for more, right? Some producers are probably "too lazy" or "not in touch" to fertilize their hay, even if they can sell it for more $$. Fertilizer isn't THAT expensive and can make the difference between $20 and $40 hay.... :roll:

Sounds like really great hay to me up north here we are lucky to get 10% with fertelizer on bermuda So you should be pleased to get hay of that quality.

How far north before the hay quality drops Bronc? Do you have any Johnson grass in your bermuda?

Im not sure I jsut know that the protien content of our hay rarely exceeds 10-11%. ANd no we have no Johnson grass in ou Bermuda grass.

Do you know the variety. I am looking for a winter hardy variety that does well in the Dakotas.

ollie":3r1q2max said:
Do you know the variety. I am looking for a winter hardy variety that does well in the Dakotas.
Ollie, I'm not trying to be smart or anything, but if you guys live where its so cold that clover grows year around, aren't there better choices than bermudagrass?

Im not exactly sure about the answer to that all I know is that bermuda grass grows quite well up here and when mixed with clover is the only thing i've found to bring the protien content up

bolsen":3llt0blo said:
Im not exactly sure about the answer to that all I know is that bermuda grass grows quite well up here and when mixed with clover is the only thing i've found to bring the protien content up
Mine grows quite well till around first of January and it slows down some. Stays nice and green till then though and provides lots of fall grazing. I have tifton 44 now bolsen, does that sound familiar?

No not at Tifton 44 what is that? Yeah ours grows till about early december then whenwe get the first snow the cattle are brought down to the wintering pens. Where they get dry lotted all winter long

bolsen":3szlp5z8 said:
No not at Tifton 44 what is that? Yeah ours grows till about early december then whenwe get the first snow the cattle are brought down to the wintering pens. Where they get dry lotted all winter long
Your a liar.

I aint a liar how you gonna sit there and call me a liar when you dont even know me

bolsen --- A belated "welcome" to the boards. If you feel like it, perhaps you may want to elaborate a little on some of your recent comments. I suspect that Ollie is doubtful of the first snow in the Dakotas being as late as in December and bermuda staying green and growing up til December. It obviously must be a different, far more cold hardy variety of bermuda than is grown in the south.

As to snow --- light dusting versus heavy cover, etc.

Hey Arnold if they had to feed the crap hay that we have to buy here, they might get outa the biz. By the time you read this it will probably be raining cats and dogs..lol... good ole southeastexas. Used to be able to buy 10 to 12 percent hay here, but everthing has grown up around us. So now all the hay producers are growing horse quality hay according to them and charging accordingly. Funny thing is if you test the stuff it is usually only 8 percent or lower... I hate the Jiggs producers, some of them seem to be the biggest liars, so what has your experiance been

houstoncutter":39alvovz said:
So now all the hay producers are growing horse quality hay according to them and charging accordingly. Funny thing is if you test the stuff it is usually only 8 percent or lower...

horse quality typically means no Johnson grass or weeds. it says nothing about the protein content.

houstoncutter --- I have to admit that I haven't had any Jiggs tested for quite a few years. Generally, I buy from one or two guys that I trust to sell a good quality, heavy bale, having bought from them for a number of years and having previously tested their hay. I don't think they would sell me a load of junk, but its possible that I'm too trusting. But I also observe their hay fields on a regular basis, have a good idea of how frequently they cut, fertilize, etc. , so that adds to my comfort level.

I know what you mean about all those guys selling "horse quality" hay, not just in our area, but all over the state. I wonder if half of them even know what a blister beetle is.

East Texas folks --- I've seen a number of articles in the last year or so about a few guys figuring out how to successfully raise alfalfa in East Texas, for the horse market. Most areas of Texas have never had any Alfalfa production to speak of, certainly not in the coastal regions. Do any of you know anybody that has successfully raised it in the more northern portions of east Texas? Had a client years ago that lost a super valuable horse due to blister beetle poisoning, from a load of New Mexico alfafa.

Latest posts