Bending New Nails

Help Support CattleToday:

JW IN VA

Reaction score
Seems like nails are getting harder to drive than they used to be.Been driving nails off and on for most of my life but it seems the newer hot dipped galvanized nails are so easy to bend. posts.Seems like the old bright common were not as quick to bend.Maybe has something to do with the coating?
I like the idea of nailing oak boards onto treated posts with the better galvanized coating so they don't rust.

JW IN VA":2d0a8j9i said:
Seems like nails are getting harder to drive than they used to be.Been driving nails off and on for most of my life but it seems the newer hot dipped galvanized nails are so easy to bend. posts.Seems like the old bright common were not as quick to bend.Maybe has something to do with the coating?
I like the idea of nailing oak boards onto treated posts with the better galvanized coating so they don't rust.
Are those oaks boards cured out?? Their like driving nails in concrete...might need to drill the holes...

Unless it's rotten, you need to drill a pilot hole before trying to drive a nail though an oak board.

I've noticed that the hot dipped, galvanized bend very easily! Nailing into an oak board can be rough, but what I have found, that works for me, is I take a set of (what I call) fence pliers and hold the nail with the pliers, instead of my fingers, and it helps to prevent the nail from bending, as I can slide the pliers up or down as needed as I hammer it.

The big galvanized nails I drive to hold HT wire on brace posts bend easier than I remember too and it doesn't matter if it's treated pine or oak cross ties. The big spiral nails used to go in pretty easy, but not any more.
I don't think it's the galvanize..cheap steel.

The nails aren't as tough as they used to be. Seems like everyone uses nail guns.

If you are driving nails, another thing you can do is dip the end of them in grease, they will drive easier.

Anymore I just keep a 18v drill handy and use a lot of screws, they will hold. I was on a couple old Tobacco barns Saturday putting some screws in the tin. I have not seen one come lose yet in good wood. There is five old barns and several sheds/building to upkeep and I try to keep the roof on good as when that goes it goes. Those five tier tobacco barns anymore is kinda scary to get on as use to I didn't see no fear.

Good screws are not cheap, but they will hold. Yes I have found like everything else nail quality is not there anymore.

There was a distinct sound made when hitting the nails with a hammer kinda of like whang whang whang with each hammer hit.. That was nails from long ago. The last nails like that was some nails made in Austria that I bought years ago. The nails now are so limber the wind will blow them over.

ALACOWMAN":b0k0tsen said:
JW IN VA":b0k0tsen said:
Are those oaks boards cured out?? Their like driving nails in concrete...might need to drill the holes...

ga.prime":b0k0tsen said:
Unless it's rotten, you need to drill a pilot hole before trying to drive a nail though an oak board.

My nail gun will laugh if I try to use it on oak like what are you doing you fool I can shoot a nail into that

Latest posts