Bench vises?

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018

Dumb Old Farmer
Reaction score
Been looking for a good older vise without much luck. Thinking I want a 8 inch vise but might be ok with a 8 inch. Any suggestions on the new vises? Been considering a Wilton from Northern tool but it took a price jump. Seems like all the used ones I see are cheap ones wanting new price or the really good old ones priced high.

Record vise. Made in England. Irwin bought Record and sent all the production over to China, so get the ones with England on them. I have 2. Paid $140 Canadian Pesos at auction for the 2nd one, which is a spare in case I ever break the original one. The things I have done to that vise would give a shop foreman nightmares.

I have a big heavy old vice of unknown brand waiting restoration that I bought at an auction cheap. My criteria for buying it was to have something I could mount on a heavy bench or strong pedestal that could hold something while I swung a big hammer at it. I do that now with it sitting on my loading ramp but would be much better properly set up, it is a good vice.

Ken

I installed this vise on my welding trailer. Do not know how well it will hold up. Used mostly to hold something to unscrew or hold while grinding.
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/olympia-hitch-vise?cm_vc=-10005

Keep a watch on Craigslist. There are quite a few older Wiltons that show up around here. I don't think I would have anything else. I acquired mine over 40 years ago. I have had some success putting a ad on Craigslist tool section with a title "want to buy ......"

I don't know what brand my 'outside' vise is or even what it's 'type' is. Not made like a regular bench vise. It's mounted on what used to be a rolling table that ran on little tracks in a refinery's boiler house. It's taken everything I can throw at it.

bird dog said:
Keep a watch on Craigslist. There are quite a few older Wiltons that show up around here. I don't think I would have anything else. I acquired mine over 40 years ago. I have had some success putting a ad on Craigslist tool section with a title "want to buy ......"
Been watching for months with no luck. May try the wanted ad and see what happens.

I bought a Record 6" with swivel base and a stand for $40 at an auction.. unless you do particularly heavy work, that thing is good enough..
I have a 4" swivel head russian vice.. it's alright, there are times when the swivel head comes in handy

tom4018 said:
What size would really be need for using a belt lacer?

4" would be plenty, you might just have to clamp multiple times for large belts. 10" lace would have you positioning lacer 3 times.

Latest posts