Ben Hur

Help Support CattleToday:

Bright Raven

Reaction score
One of the great movies of the golden era of Hollywood. What is interesting, the story of Judah Ben Hur (it is fiction) was written as a novel by a retired Civil War general Lew Wallace. There are numerous historical errors in both the novel and the movie. For example:

Sheik Ilderim pins a Star of David onto Ben Hur's belt before the race, obviously to goad the Romans. The Star of David didn't become a symbol of Judaism until the Middle Ages, in Eastern Europe. The first reference occurs in the 12th Century.

What I always found odd about the story is something that cannot be discussed here. Perhaps if I am delicate? The main theme of the story presents a bold contradiction between two of the major religions of the world.

Bright Raven":35axhxk5 said:
One of the great movies of the golden era of Hollywood. What is interesting, the story of Judah Ben Hur (it is fiction) was written as a novel by a retired Civil War general Lew Wallace. There are numerous historical errors in both the novel and the movie. For example:

Sheik Ilderim pins a Star of David onto Ben Hur's belt before the race, obviously to goad the Romans. The Star of David didn't become a symbol of Judaism until the Middle Ages, in Eastern Europe. The first reference occurs in the 12th Century.

What I always found odd about the story is something that cannot be discussed here. Perhaps if I am delicate? The main theme of the story presents a bold contradiction between two of the major religions of the world.

Judaism and what? Paganism?

I was in eastern Europe early December and had a Jewish tour guide talk about how the Jews were treated in the late medieval period. Interesting, but obviously biased.

Ryder":3hvnedrj said:
Just use initials so we can catch on.
Maybe the moderators (Dun) will not call that religious.

There is a thread on dun. He is fighting the ultimate battle. I hope he wins.

TennesseeTuxedo":utkpw768 said:
I always enjoyed Mr. Heston's work. He was a Great American.

Larry. He and Robert Duvall are my favorite actors. And they make John Wayne look like a whinning cry baby. ;-)

TennesseeTuxedo":s7ymejie said:
Bright Raven":s7ymejie said:
TennesseeTuxedo":s7ymejie said:
I always enjoyed Mr. Heston's work. He was a Great American.

Larry. He and Robert Duvall are my favorite actors. And they make John Wayne look like a whinning cry baby. ;-)

I didn't ask.

That never did stop you, DAD. LOL