Belted Galloway heifers vs cows

Help Support CattleToday:

65scout80

Reaction score
Me and my wife raised a few belted steers and sold two, direct market, meet is out of this world and our customers absolutely love it too. we planning on buying breeding stock early this year and would like some advice.

Im sure most everyone here has heard that the Galloways are supposed to be great moms and calve easy on there own, can anyone here back that statement up? I do understand that there will be variables no matter what.

We looked at a couple registered cows this past Nov. (we could care less if we buy registered) one cow is bred, the other has a bull calf, born two weeks before we seen them, at her side. the cost with hauling fee is just over budget but doable. we like these animals temperament and would love to have them as our own. however, we have since found six unregistered heifer calves from registered cows, born in May/August of 2017, we can buy four and still be well under budget.

We have not seen the heifers yet but would like some input/advice on which way we should go.

Our plan is to have a few cows to calve every year and all calves be fed out direct market unless replacement heifers are needed. all on grass (thats where most of the direct to consumer market is in my area, no Galloways in my area that I know of)

we do not plan on keeping a bull but i have definitely thought about it.
Thank You

Sounds pretty similar to my operation in SW Michigan. Mine have all lived up to the easy calving, great mothers reputation - heifers included. I've only assisted on one, and that was a heifer that got bred by her dad at 9 months accidentally on the farm I bought her from. If your selling to a meat market, registration doesn't matter. Just make sure their full blooded if that's what you want. My herd is all registered, but I'm selling to breeders. I love the breed! Their super friendly and great to be around. Just be wary around new mothers for the first week or so, they they settle right in and go back to being friendly.

i know a guy who raises a bunch.. he has to pull quite a few (vet does anyway)

My belted galloways have been no better or worse than my Angus or hereferds when it comes to calving ease and being good mothers.

It would take longer to have a return on your investment, but it sounds like the heifers would be the better buy dollarwise and you would still have money left over for a bull or semen to breed them with. The advantage if you went the cow route is they are already proven producers and know what they're supposed to do at calving. i hope they turn out well for you whichever route you go.

I has never had any issues with calving out belted heifers and to be honest their docility are MUCH better than most black Angus. The belties are better mothers than Angus cows or Angus heifers. I have to culled Angus more than belties. But if it were me, I'd buy proven cows...less hassles.

NonTypicalCPA":209f9ib7 said:
Sounds pretty similar to my operation in SW Michigan. Mine have all lived up to the easy calving, great mothers reputation - heifers included. I've only assisted on one, and that was a heifer that got bred by her dad at 9 months accidentally on the farm I bought her from. If your selling to a meat market, registration doesn't matter. Just make sure their full blooded if that's what you want. My herd is all registered, but I'm selling to breeders. I love the breed! Their super friendly and great to be around. Just be wary around new mothers for the first week or so, they they settle right in and go back to being friendly.
I didn't know you where in Michigan. Where about are you?

Muddy":tdojdzeh said:
ddd75":tdojdzeh said:
i know a guy who raises a bunch.. he has to pull quite a few (vet does anyway)
Let me guess, they were bred to a Angus bull...

no they were bred to a registerd beltie. he has bred some to angus bulls to see how they'd do.

ez14.":31d0wr72 said:
NonTypicalCPA":31d0wr72 said:

Paw Paw in the SW part of the state.

NonTypicalCPA":2n7oebr2 said:
ez14.":2n7oebr2 said:
NonTypicalCPA":2n7oebr2 said:

Paw Paw in the SW part of the state.
I'm about an hour and a half North near Lowell

I raise purebred Belties and calve a few out each year. I also calve a few Angus cows that have been bred Beltie.
Have never had an issue with a Beltie or Angus cow cow calving by herself.
I have assisted a couple of heifers through the years, though none were hard and probably would have come by themselves if I was more patient. Had one malpresentation (backwards) out of a big Maine/Angus cow that I pulled.

All were bred to Beltie bulls.

The Angus x Beltie calves grow like mad and steers gain 3.5-4.3 pounds a day for me on feed. (165 day feed period for 4-H rate of gain contest.) Carcasses grade 1-3 on average. Purebred Beltie steers grow more slowly at 2.5-3.3 pounds per day, but often produce leaner carcasses. Market weight on the crossbreds is 1300-1550. Purebreds go to town at about 1100.

Age at slaughter is 12-16 months. I would sell some at younger ages but have to wait for the July fair to be over.

Calves come weighing 60-65 pounds (Angus or Beltie mommas) and get up and suck right away.

Temperament on my cows is very good, both Angus and Beltie, as almost all are halter broke and can be haltered in the pasture. I attribute that to management more than genetics. My Beltie cows average about 1250 pounds and Angus go 1400-1800.

Beltie heifers calve weighing about 1000 pounds and 24-26 months on average. This is bigger and younger than most Beltie breeders. I feed heifers when young to encourage growth and for show purposes. They weigh about 750 when bred.

Once show season is done in August, heifers get kicked out on pasture with cows and receive no more grain. Cows get grass, hay and protein/mineral tubs.

My last bull calf went to Illinois to a breeder who was putting him with Angus cows. Said the same thing, they were a good cross. Do you have any pictures of the angus/beltie cross? I'm guessing they still retain the belt?

About 2/3 retain the belt.

I have shared bulls with a neighbor for use on his Angus heifers and have bought back most of the calves.
Have fed several steers, selling beef in 1/4 and 1/2. My butcher likes the Beltie cross for his retail meat case.
I sell half blood heifers for a premium, about 2X sale barn value of black calves.

I'd love to post some pix, but I do not, and will not, use a service to store images.

Latest posts