Belted Galloway Cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

The hair length on these cattle is short. About the same as the commercial herds nearby.
They are not long haired nor shaggy as you can see in the pics.

A little surprised at the negative comments. Texas is a very large state and the climate varies across the state.

djinwa":u9tb8bd8 said:
I won't say anything about the heat stress associated with long-haired cattle in Texas.
Our belted galloway cows usually shed their long hair in late spring and they are usually very slick haired during summer. I would agree with Chippie, Texas has different climates. I'm surprised that you weren't complaining about the galloways being black-hided :cowboy:

salebarn junkie":23vseccv said:
I am not a expert on Galloway cattle but arnt they discounted because of the extra hair and because the calves are usually on the fleshy side. I wouldn't mind having a couple just for conversation pieces.
Slow growth rate and small size is that what it gets you docked with the belted galloways at the salebarn.....tho the belted galloway size have increased in recently years.

As a breeder and exhibitor of Belted Galloway cattle, I often run into the misconceptions posted above. Here are some breed facts from the association and my farm here in Western Illinois-

Mature cow size on average is about 1250 pounds, right where all of the 'experts' say is ideal.
Calving ease is superb with calves averaging 65-75 pounds out of most all bulls in the breed.
They calve easily at 24 months with little or no assistance. No headaches!!
I am breeding five heifers now that had an average 205 day weaning weight of 525 pounds with no creep.
Two steers weighed about 575 at weaning. They are now gaining 3.25-3.5 pounds a day on feed. (based upon our state fair initial weigh in in February and weighed again two weeks ago.) An Angus and a crossbred steer in the same pen are gaining just a bit more, they are older calves with more frame.
I have purchased two, early-weaned bull calves I am prepping for shows/breeding that will weigh between 680 and 725 at 205 days.
My herd bull stands about 57" and weighs 2000+ in the winter. He is slimmer now that he's breeding cows on pasture.
In the winter he is hairy as can be, now he is slicked off. As stated above, cows slick off too.
My yearling heifers are maintaining 2-4 inches of hair. (Unless clipped for show)

While IL is not Texas, we had considerable heat and drought last summer. Best shade I could find for two show heifers last year was a Morton shed I had converted to stalls. It got well over 120 degrees in there for many days. I ran a fan on the worst days. The heifers maintained their luxurious coat and never shed out. I have a new show barn now and have not turned on a fan yet. They are just fine with the ambient air flow through the hoop barn.

There are some cows that are bigger and some that are smaller, as in all breeds. It's too bad that the sale barn market docks these cattle like they do. Most will do very well in the feedlot or pasture.

I have a strong market and waiting list for any female I can produce and most of the bulls I can grow to a year.
The only steers I'll have will be crossbreds unless we have an outlier or something not suitable for another's herd.

There are a number of folks that have gone grass-fed and are reaping the health(and financial benefits) of raising calves on grass alone. These calves won't weigh like a grain-fed animal, but still put out an excellent carcass. It just takes a bit longer.

For more information and availability of animals, you can check out the United States Belted Galloway website at: beltie.org

Honestly, I seen most belted galloway cows were slightly smaller than an average mature Angus cow but not like miniature version. When I had purebred Belted Galloways, the calves were a little slow on growth rates but when I bred the cows to an Angus bull, the crossbred calves were growing like weeds. Now if the color wasn't so important, the belted galloway cows will be value in crossbreeding in commericial operations.

Taurus,
Believe me, the cows I took photos of were not tiny cattle. They are big cows. The quality of the herd is exceptional.

chippie":3c6jeg20 said:
Taurus,
Believe me, the cows I took photos of were not tiny cattle. They are big cows. The quality of the herd is exceptional.
You are right, this herd is exceptional. But most belted galloway cows I saw were smaller.The ones I used have can barely hit a 1,100lbs mark but I once saw a giant purebred belted galloway cow that must be around 1,800lbs and that one was out of a registered herd.

But I think the huge issue is that belted galloway cattle comes in various sizes, probably from so much crossbreeding with miniature and standard sized cattle.

I recently filled an order for a smaller steer and went to the locker this morning to help them cut him up.

Steer had a live weight of 785.
Dressed weight of 495#
Dressing % of 63
Fat thickness .15 inches
Yield grade 1
Graded select or possibly low choice. (No USDA grader on hand.)
Rib eye area 10.5-11 square inches. About 1.375" per 100 pounds. (Industry average is 1-1.1"/100 pounds.)
Muscle was bright red and cut beautifully.
He really needed more time on feed, but the customer is king!
I will be receiving a premium price for my Belties.

I'll be taking two others to the locker in mid-July and look forward to their cutout data. They will be in the 1100-1200 range.
Smaller steer is May 22 and larger steer an April 16. I look forward to see what a more market-weight carcass will look like.

There is a regional Beltie show in Pecatonica, Illinois on Saturday, July 6. It is scheduled to begin at 11AM.

You will see full-blown show cattle as well as grass-fed stock.

Cattle are often for sale at these shows if you seek Belties.

Weather and God permitting, we will take two yearling heifers, a bull calf and steer.

God Bless-

In all my days, I've never had to run a fan on a cow. You created an environment in which the temp exceeded the highest ambient temp ever recorded in your state. Better off out in the blazing sun, even if it's a Texas sun. They are good looking animals for sure--we call 'em Oreo cows tho I don't see many. No--they aren't small.

I wonder what the effect is on a Beltie--having black fore and aft with a big white swath in the middle as far as it's ability to handle heat? The white part reflects heat and the black parts absorb it--gotta be rough on it's metabolism.

My show stock seems to handle the heat well, despite their long hair and no fans. They now are located in a hoop barn with good natural air flow. I learned from last summer and took the steps to make sure the animals are safe and confortable.

Cows and bull are doing well on pasture with no fans and limited shade.

We do not use fans at fairs either, raising the eyebrows of some folks who think the animals are suffering from heat.
They lay comfortably and chew their cud like at home.

The ones that suffer in the heat are the ones that stay in coolers or have multiple fans 24/7 back at the farm.

Are these the same belted cows that we used to call "Dutch" belt? I thought they used this breed in the dairy industry as well. Maybe im just confused a little...

TN Cattle Man":aw7xyxsx said:
Are these the same belted cows that we used to call "Dutch" belt? I thought they used this breed in the dairy industry as well. Maybe im just confused a little...
Dutch Belted cattle are horned, smooth haired and dairy type where the Belted Galloway are polled, hairy and beef type. Dutch Belted cattle get taller than the belted galloway cattle.

That is where the danger comes in when you mixed them up and breeding them together then sell them as purebred animals.

Taurus":eban1tsg said:
TN Cattle Man":eban1tsg said:
Dutch Belted cattle are horned, smooth haired and dairy type where the Belted Galloway are polled, hairy and beef type. Dutch Belted cattle get taller than the belted galloway cattle.

That is where the danger comes in when you mixed them up and breeding them together then sell them as purebred animals.
That probably started a long time ago, tho it could still be happening today to some extent. From beltie.org/history.html
In our Herd Book Volume I early U.S. breeder Mims Wilkinson, Jr. wrote, "It has been stated by some authorities that belted, or sheeted, cattle in England go back to the age of Charles II, although they are first mentioned in Scotland in the latter part of the 18th Century. The polled characteristic of Galloways sets them apart from every other breed, they being derived from the original British polled cattle of antiquity.

"Although it is impossible to affirm with certainty whether Belted Galloways were bred from cattle imported to Britain or native cattle, or a combination of the two, the logical conclusion is that they originated from a cross of Black Galloways with Dutch Belted. Though no documentary evidence is available to substantiate the assumption, the known prepotency of the Dutch cattle lends weight to this view, and the frequent traffickings between Scotland and the Low Countries in the 17th and 18th Centuries would provide opportunities for the importation of a few Dutch Belted cattle. The horns, the only essential difference, would disappear with the predominance of Galloway blood.

Can't be too many Dutch Belteds around tho.
The American Livestock Breeds Conservancy now lists Dutch Belted as on the critically rare breeds of livestock in the North America, with fewer than 200 registered cattle in the country. The breed in the U.S. is the only source of pure belted genetics in the world since the Lakenvelders in Holland suffered from much crossbreeding from 1950 to 1976. In fact breeders of Lakenvelders in Holland have turned to American Dutch Belted Breeders several times since then for semen from pure bulls.

Taurus":d0ivwzya said:
Plenty of unregistered grade Dutch Belted cows tho
And that can be a problem with any breed. See it with beefmasters too--as well as other breed genetics creeping into what is being sold as purebreds.

greybeard":18csz919 said:
Taurus":18csz919 said:
Plenty of unregistered grade Dutch Belted cows tho
And that can be a problem with any breed. See it with beefmasters too--as well as other breed genetics creeping into what is being sold as purebreds.
Same problem with Texas Longhorn and Lowline Angus....other breeds are getting in them. Watusi blood in longhorns and belted galloway/dexter blood in lowlines. I saw lot of lowlines that has white belt these days and they are no longer resemble as an angus but just morgelized mini cows.

There was a guy on craigslist, try to selling a Tarentaise bull as a Red Angus bull a little while back.

We are in Georgia and picked up a Galloway heifer at the sale barn two yrs ago just cause! She is a sweet cow takes the heat just fine we bred her to a reg. Hereford bull she had no problem having her calf. And what did we get a bladie heifer we are keeping her 6 month weight 550! Wish we could pick up another.