Belly Edema??

Help Support CattleToday:

angus9259

Reaction score
10 yo bred cow due in Sept. This showed up today - at least today is the first I've seen it and I check pretty frequently. She seems to be functioning as well as a 10 yo heavy bred cow can in 95 degree weather. Any thoughts?

I don't know what 'ligaments' jerry is talking about.
Doesn't look like rupture of prepubic tendon to me... which would be a career-ending injury.

cowgirl8":v9i4j755 said:
We had a heifer do this...It went away on it own...Got really big too....

Heifers do this... for a reason that is specific to young cows. I got heaps of them like that in my pasture right now.
Older cows generally don't.
Having said that, I've seen belly edema once in a cow that had just had twins... it didn't look like this, more like a distended barrel, don't recall why the fluid collected there but I asked the vet about it and was told it would go away on its own and wasn't a problem, and it did. She was a four year old the year she had the twins.

I can't say anything about the cow pictured. Dun's 'benign neglect' perhaps is best advice, it may go away on its own or it may be a symptom in much the same way that edema under the jaw is a symptom of some unpleasant conditions - in which case you'd expect her to not look in such good health.

angus9259":13880ys4 said:
Funny what you can find on these boards.....

http://cattletoday.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=38923
cool photos. I must've had a slow connection when those were posted as I don't recall most of them.

My four year old looked like the hydrops cow - nearly that bad, but it all faded away after a while and never seemed to bother her. Yours is almost, but not quite, like what is normally seen in heifers precalving in the way the fluid is sitting.

Latest posts