Belgian blue cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

lithuanian farmer

Reaction score
As requested starting a new thread about Belgian blues.
Today's newborn blue sired bull calf. Expected him to be bigger, but he should weigh abit less than 110lbs, maybe around 105lbs.
286 days gestation, unassisted, out of limxangusx cow.

20230331_121029.jpg
20230331_120938.jpg

The sire:
Screenshot_20230331-125231_Samsung Internet.jpg

He actually is fairly big for traditional blue with his height. Will be interesting to see how his calves will grow. Will have two more abit later.

Today's newborn blue sired bull calf. Expected him to be bigger, but he should weigh abit less than 110lbs, maybe around 105lbs.

View attachment 28329
View attachment 28330

The sire:
View attachment 28332

He actually is fairly big for traditional blue with his height. Will be interesting to see how his calves will grow. Will have two more abit later.
I had to follow a lady through Walmart with a butt like that!🤣🤣

That calf is tall. Definitely expected a bit more muscling right outa the gate with a sire like that.lol For sure interested how these types of calves develop.

That calf is tall. Definitely expected a bit more muscling right outa the gate with a sire like that.lol For sure interested how these types of calves develop.
That just shows that an extreme bull can produce easy calved calves at birth.
Will keep updating on how they will grow and on future newborns. However, following blue sired calves are due only on the 9th of May and at the beggining of July, so still plenty of time left.

At what age do you calve your heifers? What age do most of your cows go out of production ?
They calve at +- 3 years age in spring at the same time as cows. Our current oldest cow is 15, another is 14 and there is a group older than 10. We usually cull based on their performance, but if the cow is a real good producer she will stay until she starts showing signs of ageing or has a good reason for culling, like calves growing worse each year, fertility issues, health issues, etc.

They calve at +- 3 years age in spring at the same time as cows. Our current oldest cow is 15, another is 14 and there is a group older than 10. We usually cull based on their performance, but if the cow is a real good producer she will stay until she starts showing signs of ageing or has a good reason for culling, like calves growing worse each year, fertility issues, health issues, etc.
I like to calve my heifers between 2-3 to give them a chance to reach their full size plus I think they breed back more consistently. Just curious about how you did it . Thanks for the reply !

View attachment 28329
View attachment 28330

The sire:
View attachment 28332

How does this calf look today? My blues would muscle up nicely by about 4/5 months old.

Latest posts