Belgian Blue carcass traits

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Does anyone knows how fullblood and/or purebred Belgians meat grade? and if the crossbreeding of BB with British or Continental will increase the grade.

[email protected]

Thanks, I had just read an article of the American Belgian Blue Breeders where they have their own certification program (Certified Belgian Blue Beef), the meat is lean, high in protein, lower in fat, calories and cholesterol than a chicken breast; and naturally tender due to thinner muscle fiber than traditional beef.

> Blues don't grade. They have
> virtually no fat in the meat.
> Crossing them on a british would
> reduce the quality grade.

> Jason

[email protected]

Let see if I understanood, it will reduce quality grade of the 1/2 bloods if comparing them with British; But do 1/2 bloods will increase quality comparing them with Belgians?

> Blues don't grade. They have
> virtually no fat in the meat.
> Crossing them on a british would
> reduce the quality grade.

> Jason

[email protected]

conventional american grading systems do not apply to BB because they are designed to grade the quality of fatty meat, meat that is not tender and doesn't have much taste if there is no fat present.

BB meat is virtually fatless (no marbling), but if cooked the right way (quick and hot, with a bloody inside) it is more tender then a british steak and has just the same flavour, because of the extremely short fibres. quality grading in belgium is done by length of the fibres and fat content. the more fat, the lower the grade. you can get disaproved (meat will not be sold fresh, only processed) if you have a certain fat percentage in your beef. this has never happened to me, so i don't know what the percentage would be.

[email protected]

thanks, BB meat is first quality lean meat

> conventional american grading
> systems do not apply to BB because
> they are designed to grade the
> quality of fatty meat, meat that
> is not tender and doesn't have
> much taste if there is no fat
> present.

> BB meat is virtually fatless (no
> marbling), but if cooked the right
> way (quick and hot, with a bloody
> inside) it is more tender then a
> british steak and has just the
> same flavour, because of the
> extremely short fibres. quality
> grading in belgium is done by
> length of the fibres and fat
> content. the more fat, the lower
> the grade. you can get disaproved
> (meat will not be sold fresh, only
> processed) if you have a certain
> fat percentage in your beef. this
> has never happened to me, so i
> don't know what the percentage
> would be.

[email protected]

I'm with Sharon, we've been eating and SELLING BB beef for 10 years now. The best I have ever had!!! If an animal had 500 steaks on it I believe I could sell them all. Fat isn't quality. But you can check with USDA and the University of Okla. on their teating.

[email protected]

Latest posts