Begonia bulbs

Help Support CattleToday:

hillsdown

Reaction score
I saved the bulbs from my dragon wing begonias before the frost and I need to know how to store them for next year.

I thought with the price of each plant I may as well save the bulbs each year and start them myself ,it may save me a pretty penny each year in bedding plants. Short season this year, only 3 and half months, gets a little ridiculous when you think of how much one spends each year on pretty flowers..

Thanks

I am about as handy in the garden as a donkey is in the kitchen, but I do know that my Mother and wife both leave all flower bulb thingies in the ground all winter - unless you have some special kind of begonia - why bring them in?

In fact both ladies made me dig into their gardens while home on leave once to "split???" the bulb groups up and re-bury a bunch before the ground froze too hard to work it. They both have far too many types of flowers and things - literally hundreds of the darned things of all shapes and sizes and colours - and I tend to be the only male in the family with patience enough to work with (more like FOR) them.

Hate garden stuff with a passion but the "older" ladies in my life tend to run me ragged once in a while in the garden - I just grit my teeth and say "Yes dear" to all their commands.

Cheers

Bez+

Most bulbs can be dug up, trim the tops and rinsed and dried in the sun for a few days then stored in a dark closet for long periods of time. Using a cardboard can flat is a good storage method since they can be laid out in a single layer. If you need to layer them you can lay newpaper between the layers. Though not as good but much easier is the use of onion sacks. Main thing is to have them in the dark and keep them dry.

Thanks Jo I will store them in the cold room.

Bez they had top be dug up as they were in expensive planters that must be emptied every year and stored away.

Latest posts