beginning

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

My grandmother has about ten acres in central florida. I'm interested in buyin some calves and raising them to resell at a later time. What is the best ratio of cattle to land if they are given supplement feed such as hay and feed? Also, which breeds grow quickest

[email protected]

You need to talk to your local Extension people about how many head of calves you can run on your ten acres. That will depend on type of grass, climate, rainfall, etc. Ten acres in Kentucky will support more cattle than ten acres in most parts of Arizona. Do you see what I mean? Your local Extension people are familiar with types of grass in your area and rainfall, etc. Check the prices at the sale barn if that's where you will sell your calves and see what seems to sell best. Good luck...

> My grandmother has about ten acres
> in central florida. I'm interested
> in buyin some calves and raising
> them to resell at a later time.
> What is the best ratio of cattle
> to land if they are given
> supplement feed such as hay and
> feed? Also, which breeds grow
> quickest

from what i know of florida you can run several on small parcels of land. in the southern part. good suggestion to contact your extension agent.
> Does anyone have suggestions for
> me?

Limousin sired or influenced calves boast the greatest muscle growth efficiency, as will perform well on forage and even better on forage and feed, I would say you could run 15 head of calves on 10 acres, if you are providing ample clean water, grain and forage, and have a good health plan in mind for preconditioning these calves, I personaly would worm with cydectin pour on, or safeguard paste, vaccinate with Vision8, Cattle Master 4, and an internasal for respiratory, and a pink-eye vaccine, given your climate, and the time of year.

[email protected]

Latest posts