Beginning to hate rain

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1":2rcynssz said:
They don't mind the rain 7" we got but I sure hate getting in there. Apparently one is digging for truffles or oil

Dad told a lot of stories about the 1937 floods on the Ohio River. He was 16. He watched hogs, cows, chickens, cars, houses, etc floating down the river.

We haven't had as much as sky yet but are starting to get heavy bands now. But we had rain off and on for over a week now and everything is saturated. Supposed to get nasty the next 2 days. Real bad in NC and SC flooding etc.

If there was a way I would lasso it and bring it south to you and out to the dry parts of Texas. We have had an exceptionally wet year overall. About twice the normal rainfall totals and this rain will really boost it up. I just hope we don't have the snow equivalent this winter.....

Bright Raven":1i6ea3la said:
skyhightree1":1i6ea3la said:
They don't mind the rain 7" we got but I sure hate getting in there. Apparently one is digging for truffles or oil

Dad told a lot of stories about the 1937 floods on the Ohio River. He was 16. He watched hogs, cows, chickens, cars, houses, etc floating down the river.

Definitely something you will never forget

Everyone down in the warm climates likes to tell me how they couldn't live up here. And that's fine. But the ground is hard as a rock now and will be until spring. I don't understand the fuss about the cold.

Silver":6vl9itcn said:
Everyone down in the warm climates likes to tell me how they couldn't live up here. And that's fine. But the ground is hard as a rock now and will be until spring. I don't understand the fuss about the cold.
What part of COLD don't you understand?

Don't know how man or beast survives in that heat you folks deal with down there. Obviously tougher than me or just suckers for punishment.

Silver - I am soooo ready for the ground to freeze. Hopefully, we don't have a significant snowfall prior to ground freeze. It will be a loooong winter if that happens. This is the worse mud I have had to deal with for quite a few years - spring or fall.
One thing about the cold, you can put more clothes on - hot, hmmm. Can get interesting.

Friend of mine across town runs an overstocked operation and feeds lots of hay year around. Right now he's made his last pass thru the pasture gate with his 4x tractor because he's all but buried it. He had to get a larger tractor to pull him out and hired the guy to put out his hay. That might not last very long as the rain keeps on coming.

Yeah, I'm wishing for freezing - but, then I will have to deal with the frozen ruts if we don't gradually get dried out first. I mash down the ruts every chance I get as things dry out. The land here does dry out nicely. Soil here is "designed" to be watered every 3 days.
When we moved out here in 1978 from Kansas, husband was bad mouthing the neighbors because they would get out on fields shortly after rain & plow. Ken would say, they are going to have slabs. Nope, ground works up just fine. Difference in areas.

Latest posts