Beginning to hate rain

Help Support CattleToday:

Ky hills":2l5lg8cw said:
Rained hard here overnight and most of the day today so far. Hollers look like rivers. The road and parking lot in front of our church is standing in water and services were cancelled. The roof on the local post office has collapsed.

Bill. Check Channel 27-3 (radar map station) out of Lexington. Robertson County is right on the top edge of it. Looks like the band is moving more toward you. I think you got a lot coming this afternoon.

Bright Raven":3f4emqms said:
Flo has already hit here.
fake news :lol: ;-)
3 inches since midnight according to my weather monitor and data station. Since Saturday morning we have gotten over 7 inches of rain. Plus, a 30 degree drop in temperatures.

Kentucky is setting up for one of the highest precipitation years on record.

I am beginning to hate rain!!!
No, Flo has not already 'hit there'.
Flo (Florence) is still about 1200 NM off the East coast or 650 NM south east of Bermuda.
pic sharing

The rain you got over the last few days and are still getting is from the remnants of Hurricane Gordon.
quick image upload

greybeard":3kmvjihj said:
Bright Raven":3kmvjihj said:
3 inches since midnight according to my weather monitor and data station. Since Saturday morning we have gotten over 7 inches of rain. Plus, a 30 degree drop in temperatures.

Flo (Florence) is still about 1200 NM off the East coast or 650 NM south east of Bermuda.
pic sharing

The rain you got over the last few days and are still getting is from the remnants of Hurricane Gordon.
quick image upload

I hope we don't get a second "tidal wave" off Flo.

They generally curl off to the N/NE once they hit land, but never any guarantees. Models don't look good for the Carolinas, and outlook says it will be Cat 4 by Tuesday afternoon and remain at least as Cat4 until landfall late Thursday at present forward speed. Cat 4=130-156 mph or 113-136 kts.
It's too early for the models to indicate post landfall direction or timeline.

I got an inch since yesterday afternoon..... :clap:

Puts us about 9 inches behind for the year... :deadhorse:

Bright Raven":3i4ze8ao said:
greybeard":3i4ze8ao said:
Bright Raven":3i4ze8ao said:

pic sharing

quick image upload

I hope we don't get a second "tidal wave" off Flo.

Me neither, it's saturated and seems like everybody is affected in some way by it some much worse than others. Downtown Mt. Sterling is flooded and just saw some pictures from just up the road in Powell County that look like the Mississipi River is out of its banks.

Ky hills":1huaz9em said:
Me neither, it's saturated and seems like everybody is affected in some way by it some much worse than others. Downtown Mt. Sterling is flooded and just saw some pictures from just up the road in Powell County that look like the Mississipi River is out of its banks.

I went to Maysville, North Fork of the Licking looks like the Ohio River. Several houses and trailers have water in them. A real mess for a lot of people.

We got 1.6 inches from late Sat aft. through Sun noon. it rain pretty consistantly all night. It soaked in good though, we had a week of mid 90's all week and it was a little dry. I managed to get all the heifer calves in that needed to go to the big barn late Sat eve, then it started to rain and you can't get in that field when it is raining. Figured I'd have to let them all out today..... but it stopped raining about 8 a.m. and waited til noon and called my son and said I thought we could get in and get one good load. Usually by the second load it is getting muddy. Went up, got them in the little barn from the little lot, he came up and never even needed the 4wd. It really soaked in good. So they are moved to the big barn. Plans are to bangs vacc a bunch, got one older one that was supposed to be preg and I think she slipped it. 2nd time... so she will go if open. We are planning to get in a group of Jan calves to sell Friday and there are a couple of heifers in that group than might stay so they will get vaccinated too. 7 steers and 5 heifers in that group, plus one older heifer that is short and small, plus a few of these heifers that will get cut. They are several of my jer/hol cross calves I raised on the nurse cows from late last fall, that will get bangs & kept right now. Some will become nurse cows for me; some might get sold as family cows to milk.

Not looking forward to this hurricane and selling this coming Friday. Just decided that it would be a good week as there are several that are supposed to be bringing in some feeders. Will see what the weather looks lik closer to Friday.

Named'em Tamed'em":17qzxglj said:
We could use a little rain here in the Pacific NW. On the wet side of Washington we've had only 1" of rain since May 1st.

That's unreal. Hope I never see anything like that here.

We have had over 9" since Saturday morning. Remains of Gordon, I believe. We may get some of Flo later this week. Been one of the worst crop years, because everything is TOO wet. It is one of the wettest summers we have ever had. Everything is getting stuck. Feels like we own a mud farm.

MRRherefords":3kqelyo6 said:
We have had over 9" since Saturday morning. Remains of Gordon, I believe. We may get some of Flo later this week. Been one of the worst crop years, because everything is TOO wet. It is one of the wettest summers we have ever had. Everything is getting stuck. Feels like we own a mud farm.

I just was talking to the neighbor next door. On the soil here, you cannot get off gravel. It will be a couple weeks before anyone can get on a field. Furthermore, we are approaching those months when the ground just never dries until spring. I have great grass this fall but I notice the cows are cutting up the ground grazing on it. That don't usually happen here until Thanksgiving. I am hoping it stays dry for a month.

Gonna get worse I suspect. This storm is of significant size, enough that even if it does quickly veer NE, Ky, Tenn, North Ga, the Virginias,and other points just to the north are all going to get a lot of rain, and even a LOT of rain.
Sounds like Flo will be a rainmaker for sure.
Florence is likely to make landfall on Thursday evening or Friday morning on the coast of North Carolina or South Carolina, and the odds continue to increase that Florence will stall on Friday and meander near or over the coast for several days, making the hurricane a devastating rainfall and coastal flooding threat...............
Florence: an extreme rainfall threat
Our top five models all agree that the trough of low pressure that was expected to turn the hurricane to the north late this week will be too weak to do so, as a strong ridge of high pressure builds over the Mid-Atlantic. This "blocking ridge" is likely to block Florence's forward progress. Florence is expected to stall and wander near or over the coast for as many as four days, potentially becoming the "Harvey of the East Coast", dumping prodigious amounts of rain. If a significant portion of the storm's circulation remains over water, as occurred last year with Hurricane Harvey's stall over Southeast Texas—or even if Florence were to move into the higher terrain of western North Carolina and then stall—the rain from Florence may break all-time state records for rainfall from a hurricane or tropical storm. North Carolina's state rainfall record from a hurricane is 24.06" from Hurricane Floyd of 1999, South Carolina's is 18.51" from Tropical Storm Jerry of 1995, and Virginia's is 27.00" from Hurricane Camille of 1969. There is also the danger that Florence could make landfall, then emerge back over water and re-intensify, increasing its rainfall potential.

Meteorologist Dr. Jeff Masters.

greybeard":1bu83ray said:
Gonna get worse I suspect. This storm is of significant size, enough that even if it does quickly veer NE, Ky, Tenn, North Ga, the Virginias,and other points just to the north are all going to get a lot of rain, and even a LOT of rain.
Sounds like Flo will be a rainmaker for sure.
Florence is likely to make landfall on Thursday evening or Friday morning on the coast of North Carolina or South Carolina, and the odds continue to increase that Florence will stall on Friday and meander near or over the coast for several days, making the hurricane a devastating rainfall and coastal flooding threat...............
Florence: an extreme rainfall threat
Our top five models all agree that the trough of low pressure that was expected to turn the hurricane to the north late this week will be too weak to do so, as a strong ridge of high pressure builds over the Mid-Atlantic. This "blocking ridge" is likely to block Florence's forward progress. Florence is expected to stall and wander near or over the coast for as many as four days, potentially becoming the "Harvey of the East Coast", dumping prodigious amounts of rain. If a significant portion of the storm's circulation remains over water, as occurred last year with Hurricane Harvey's stall over Southeast Texas—or even if Florence were to move into the higher terrain of western North Carolina and then stall—the rain from Florence may break all-time state records for rainfall from a hurricane or tropical storm. North Carolina's state rainfall record from a hurricane is 24.06" from Hurricane Floyd of 1999, South Carolina's is 18.51" from Tropical Storm Jerry of 1995, and Virginia's is 27.00" from Hurricane Camille of 1969. There is also the danger that Florence could make landfall, then emerge back over water and re-intensify, increasing its rainfall potential.

Meteorologist Dr. Jeff Masters.

Not good. They are saying 3 to 5 inches of it stays on track. We sure don't need it. Lots of hay is going to be lost.

I'm going to have to keep an eye on Issac and also, this as yet un-named little jewel..

Showers and thunderstorms over the northwestern Caribbean Sea,
western Cuba, and the Yucatan Peninsula of Mexico are associated
with a surface trough and are showing some signs of organization.
This system is forecast to move slowly northwestward across the
Yucatan Peninsula on Tuesday with limited development. Upper-level
winds are forecast to become more conducive for development later in
the week, and a tropical depression could form on Thursday or Friday
while the disturbance moves across the western Gulf of Mexico.
Interests across northeastern Mexico and the coast of Texas and
Louisiana should monitor the progress of this system. Regardless of
development, heavy rainfall and gusty winds are likely over western
Cuba and the Yucatan Peninsula through Tuesday.

They don't mind the rain 7" we got but I sure hate getting in there. Apparently one is digging for truffles or oil