Beginning of the end for Wrangler and Lee jeans?

Help Support CattleToday:

greybeard

Reaction score
is this the beginning of the end for Wrangler and Lee jeans?
The corporate owner of Lee and Wrangler jeans may be considering selling the iconic brands, according to a Friday report published by the Wall Street Journal.

VF Corp. – the apparel conglomerate that owns both brands – may be considering spinning off or selling Lee and Wrangler as demand for denim declines, the report says, citing corporate insiders.

VF has owned the jean companies for decades, but in recent years jean sales have fallen across the industry. That's due in part to the rise of yoga pants for women, a trend that started gaining widespread attention in 2014.
Looks like yoga pants are the new official American pants, especially (but nowadays, probably not limited to) women.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/mone...a ... 962379002/

One thing about yoga pants on women....the pants never lie.
I haven't worn anything but Wranglers for over 40 years now, so hopefully someone will buy the brand and continue making the same good product.

I ain't wore Jean's for work in years. Much prefer the dickies and riggs carpenter style pants. Way more durable.

But I do like wrangler Jean's. Hope this doesn't mean their quality will decline.

fence_it":130ggtmm said:
I ain't wore Jean's for work in years. Much prefer the dickies and riggs carpenter style pants. Way more durable.

But I do like wrangler Jean's. Hope this doesn't mean their quality will decline.
To late, quality declined decades ago.

1982vett":zhocp8jt said:
fence_it":zhocp8jt said:

The price sure didn't...I've resorted to Walmart for my wranglers...dang 38 to $40 a pair ..just knocking around with cattle and equipment...those cowboy cuts are for church and out on the town now...

Agreed that the quality declined about 20 years ago.. Wranglers used to have a unique weave to them, a kinda 3 way weave that didn't let tears spread.. then they went to a conventional weave and they aren't any more durable than any other, and since I couldn't care less about the brand for the sake of being stylish, I will wear $10 jeans if the cut is comfortable...
One of my biggest problems is they never have my size in stock, 31x32 is perfect for me, 30 or 32 waist works too.. They always seem to stock plenty of 54x24 and 26x40 though.

Nesikep":2428e27p said:
Agreed that the quality declined about 20 years ago.. Wranglers used to have a unique weave to them, a kinda 3 way weave that didn't let tears spread.. then they went to a conventional weave and they aren't any more durable than any other, and since I couldn't care less about the brand for the sake of being stylish, I will wear $10 jeans if the cut is comfortable...
One of my biggest problems is they never have my size in stock, 31x32 is perfect for me, 30 or 32 waist works too.. They always seem to stock plenty of 54x24 and 26x40 though.
I did get into wrangler originally for the trend..but found they were more comfortable then Levi's ...don't seem to be as tough and durable as Levi's but a heck of a lot better for comfort ...those Levi nut crushers didn't give much when your tying down a calf :cowboy:

ALACOWMAN":altbs4xo said:
1982vett":altbs4xo said:
fence_it":altbs4xo said:

The price sure didn't...I've resorted to Walmart for my wranglers...dang 38 to $40 a pair ..just knocking around with cattle and equipment...those cowboy cuts are for church and out on the town now...

That's what I do too. Wranglers for church or town and Rural King or Tractor Supply blue jeans to work in. They don't hold up as well but for around $10 a pair I can go through a few RK brand britches.

I needed some jeans the other day so I ran up to the local feed/hardware store to get a few pair of wranglers. Holy cow all they have is fancy pocket jeans anymore, some of the wranglers even had the stretchy material like women's jeans. I like wranglers I can get a year out of a pair even though the wife says they too dirty looking after 6 months. Maybe they'll sell to a company still oriented towards work jeans. The company I'm most disappointed in lately is Carhartt.

We have a VFM mall here. I buy the Riggs work wear by wrangler. Fabric is rip stock material. I try to have three pair on hand so maybe I have a clean pair hanging in the closet. I usually have to add one pair a year because of battery acid, welding slag and just wear and tear on them.

ALACOWMAN":1jcvlqfo said:
Nesikep":1jcvlqfo said:
I did get into wrangler originally for the trend..but found they were more comfortable then Levi's ...don't seem to be as tough and durable as Levi's but a heck of a lot better for comfort ...those Levi nut crushers didn't give much when your tying down a calf :cowboy:
X2 on that....really havent' noticed any fall off in quality.

Lucky":18g2j02c said:
I needed some jeans the other day so I ran up to the local feed/hardware store to get a few pair of wranglers. Holy cow all they have is fancy pocket jeans anymore, some of the wranglers even had the stretchy material like women's jeans. I like wranglers I can get a year out of a pair even though the wife says they too dirty looking after 6 months. Maybe they'll sell to a company still oriented towards work jeans. The company I'm most disappointed in lately is Carhartt.

Agree with you about Carhartt. Used to wear that kind for several years then they just seemed to stop fitting right for me. Apparently they changed the style to more low cut around the waist. So then I switched to Wrangers.

Lucky":dqvkg703 said:
I have a pair of stretchy jeans, they're a slightly thinner material but they seemed to hold up OK, and they are comfy.. I just happened onto this pair at a second hand shop.. don't know if I'd pay a premium for them but they're OK

Ky hills":2n8dxc35 said:
Lucky":2n8dxc35 said:

Agree with you about Carhartt. Used to wear that kind for several years then they just seemed to stop fitting right for me. Apparently they changed the style to more low cut around the waist. So then I switched to Wrangers.

Carhartt's actually fit me better than anything I've tried, but they just don't hold up. Mine all start wearing through at the upper inside corner of the hip pocket, and once there's a tiny hole, a rip is sure to follow. Seems to me to be an odd place, but maybe because I work on show calves pretty much everyday, so there's always a comb in my hip pocket. Wranglers don't suffer that malady, maybe because of the rivets?

I'm really liking the Wrangler cool weave or whatever they call it. They're supposed to be cooler, and wick away the moisture. It seems to work, and they wear really well for me, too. If those go away I may have to go to overalls full time...

I have worn Lady Lee jeans since my teens. They were the only brand that was small enough in the waist and big enough in the hip to fit my shape when I was younger. The waist isn't as small as it used to be, and the hips are a bit bigger too, but I still like them. The womens' wranglers and levis don't have enough hip room without the waist being big enough for 2. They will want to fall down. I do not have little "pencil thin legs" so need a pair that will fit my hips and thighs. :roll:
Lady Lee has always been my choice. I buy alot of them now at the goodwill stores. The older ones, used to be tough and I put them through alot. Now they aren't as tough as they used to be it seems, but the ones that are "relaxed" in the waist, fit nicely and have a little give. I go to the VF company stores whenever I am near to one, but the closest one is about 4-5 hours away. So Goodwill gets my business. I always check when I am in there, and have about 3-4 pair now that are like new. When they get too bad, I will use a pair for patches and fix the tears and such to use as barn clothes, and when they get really bad, they get recycled as patches for pinkeye cows. Just found a "pattern " and instructions to make a jean quilt so that might be in the future when I slow down some at work. :nod: :nod:
My son prefers "dickies" and that type pant for work, says they are cooler, but wears jeans for "goin out". I think he is a wrangler person. His problem is getting them long enough...he's 6'6" and long in the back and legs and most places do not keep the longer legs in stock...I think he wears a 35 x 37 ? Most popular length leg here is shorter, like a 34....
I can take them up, but I can't add to them if they are too short. :!: :!:

Lee jeans actually fit my husband pretty well, seem to be good quality & I get them at Orscheln Farm & Home. He hates Wrangler! I've also been disappointed in Carhartt for his jeans but Duluth & LL Bean are pretty heavy duty, no rips, sagging, fraying. At the risk of a public flogging, I get my jeans at The Buckle but I'm hard to fit.

A dang pair of Lady Lee's is how my wife caught me , a very classic look and fit. I wear wranglers and have for years since the Levi plant here closed , they got expensive and hard to find in my size. I have to dig to find 36 length , and go back and forth between a 34 and 35 waist . I think the 34 waist is on the way out for good , she keeps washing them in hot water .

Carhartt carpenters for years for work/farm. lighter and no problems squatting, kneeling, etc. compared to jeans
Ariat jeans for church, casual, cattle sales, etc.

Used to wear the Levi's 567 or something like that. They changed the cut 8-10 yrs ago and the butt/groin area got shallower and tighter, a no go for me, even though the same 'model' #. Glad I tried the Ariat cuz they much better

Latest posts