Beginning infrastructure

Help Support CattleToday:

There is a fine line between genious and idiot. Personally, I wouldn't want a vet that rides that fence. Common sense suits me. But I don't have a vet in this area anymore...so the common sense has to be all mine. scary thought

Going back to the education thing...

It's always interesting to hear about perceptions of high school, and the level of education (or non-education) that students attain. There's an old saying that the colleges blame the high school teachers, the high school blames the middle school, the middle school teachers blame the elementary, and they, in turn, blame the parents.

I can certainly see the frustration of our 'work force' in trying to hire, deal with, etc. high school graduates that lack basic skills. However, teaching in a high school, I see a different side as well. When we are trying to 'teach to the test' for our state's accountability testing program, often basic skills are glossed over in order to make sure students perform well on the test. It's frustrating as all get-out, and most of us try to do the best we can with the time in class that we have.

To go back to madbeancounter's post, I believe responsibility lies with parents. Man, do those elementary teachers have that 'parent signature' thing downpat! Just think - each person that has expressed concern about their child's education, involvement in raising, showing cattle, etc. has shown that they care, and all of our kids will be better for it.

:)

Latest posts