Beginning Farmer Programs?

Help Support CattleToday:

cornstalk

Reaction score
Hello,

Recently we have had some good pasture land come up for sale in my area. My wife and I are wondering what is available to beginning farmers as far as any government programs, or low interest loans? Our herd size has now grown to a grand total of 11 cows, otherwise we have very little capital. Hoping to find a low interest loan of some type to aid us in the purchase of this pasture/farmland. We have a meeting with FCS in a week or two, just thought I'd see what the board had to say on this topic.

Thanks for any insight. :cboy:

around here the banks want 30% down, and then they will take in to condsiderations your assets (i.e., cows, tractors, other income).

Don't give up! If I listened to everyone here, I wouldn't be anywhere.

donna

Check with your county USDA office.. they offer low interest "beginning farmer" loans. A lot of paperwork involved, and you have to have been denied a loan by two lenders before they'll consider you.

I found a small indepentant bank to loan on a 52 acre parcel of bare land. But had to show I had other income to support the loan without considering the money made from ranching. I also had to come up with about 20% down. I did do a web search for "farm loans" and got a couple of hits, but both where outragous to deal with, one place wanted $1000 to join then I could submit a loan app. for another $350. I wish I knew about the USDA program.

Alan

the beginning farmer and rancher loan i was looking at last year wanted 10% downpayment (on land).

Beefy":1kvt36di said:
the beginning farmer and rancher loan i was looking at last year wanted 10% downpayment (on land).

Who was loaning the funds?

Alan

Hmmmm, interesting.

We do have nearly 10% to put down, depending on the selling price. Somewhat worried about what this ground will bring, it certainly isnt prime farm ground, however land has been averaging around 1500/acre in these parts.

Just thought I'd drop a line on this one too see what came about. We'll go through the motions, and hopefully someone will give us a shot at owning this ground. I wont be easily discouraged, if this particular parcel doesnt work out, there will be more.....and I'll have even more assets saved up!

Wondering, I think the interest rate is running around 6% these days. How much of a discount could one expect on a reduced rate, beginning farmer loan ? 2-3% ?

Thanks for the replies so far!

:cboy:

it will just depend. i got a beggining rancher loan last year at about 3.65 percent for heifers. the land here i was looking at last year was 3300/acre. needless to say i didnt quite have 10% at the time.

like another poster said, there is some paperwork involved, so dont wait around until the last minute to look into it.

Capital Farm Credit right now is about 6.5 - 7.75% on a fixed rate 15-30 year. Adjustable rates are less, but obviously more risky,

The last "beginning farmer" load I closed was at 4.0%. Remember, very structured. You'll have to have a long range business plan, etc.

Yes.. don't wait if you're interested. They take awhile to process! The one I closed took 9 months to complete.

TheBullLady":3ka1c5e6 said:
Capital Farm Credit right now is about 6.5 - 7.75% on a fixed rate 15-30 year.

I just got a "dividend" check from Capital Farm Credit today.....nice chunk of change and will come in real handy too. They have their company set up as a sort of a co-op type deal where you pay like 1 or 2% of the loan amount to "purchase" your share of the company, so in effect, you own a part of the company that's loaning to you. They just added that to the loan amount, so I didn't have to come up with it all at once, but I guess over 30 years, that 1 or 2% will add up to a whole lot more for them. In any case, its nice to see a dividend check in the mail when you least expect it.