Beginning an operation...

Help Support CattleToday:

We started out with 2 angus heifers and one angus steer 8 years ago. We now have a slight mix with a lot of red and black angus and herefords cows. However, we do not have any of ours registered. We do rent a registered bull to breed with. The only reason we use a registered bull is because we can see the size of the calves he throws. We have been alternating between an angus bull and a simmetal bull. We've been doing really well in the market with the calves that are crossed with a angus cow/simmetal bull.

Cows and Dogs-

We have got a neighbor who has right around that amount of land and he puts about 10 head of 500 pounders out there through the summer. Sell them, and take the profit and put it towards expanding/improving. I might also second the sheep idea.....my brother raises some and you may be really surprised at the money that can be made. It's pretty exciting when an old ewe spits out the first lamb and leaves you waiting for a second and sometimes a third! (Not to mention if you have kids the lambs are so darned cute)

Either way I would try to make some money and stay open to the idea of expanding or improving so you can one day have enough to run some cow-calf pairs if that is what you really want to do.

Finally, there might be more money in renting it out for row-crops or for hay but if you don't need the money and that isn't what you want to do....then don't. Gotta do what's gonna make you happy.....too often that gets confused with what makes you the most money.

dang thats good..so hes running 10 mommas/a bull/ yr round and 6 mos out of the yr hes running those 11 animals plus 10 calves. thats dang good...specially in south dakota?

more info needed on this....cuz man he must be feeding alot of some really inexp feed to pull this off...

gary

Dieselbeef-

Yep, he certainly is feeding some cheap feed. He actually keeps them through the winter because he puts up ditch hay and grinds it and feeds it with a small amount of grain. However he doesn't have any momma cows, bull, or calves. The 500 pounders I mentioned would be stocker calves he purchases from the sale barn.

oh 10-4..i was wondering how ya were gonna explain that math to me! lol...i was thinkin he was the greatest cattleman ever..

i know a buyer who does something like that for a fella here. he only buys black animals under 300lbs. steers or hiefers. the guy feeds m out til theyre bout 500-600 and unloads em...i guess he does alright... idk that aspect of his deal but hes been doin it awhile so it must be werkin for him

Start commerial and learn how to get by with as little expense as possible.
Don't even think about new, fancy equipment until you get some profits coming in.
Registered cows will cost you more but you sure can't count on them producing more.
Overall crossbreds with heterosis will produce you more than purebred.
Use AI if you can. You can't afford a bull with just a handful of cows.
Put your location in that space on the right so folks will know where you are when you post. Where you are located can make a big difference in management.
They way to speed up your plans is to start off real slow. Go by the inch and learn and refine.
Best of luck to you.

Latest posts