beginning - ai or bull

Help Support CattleToday:

did you learn what you needed to do in the field thru select on the AI course?

TB-Herefords":1ouks9ha said:
I took an AI course about four years ago for $200 to $250 through Select Sires and the University Extention. I also got an Excellent Tank for around $500. Holds more straws than I will ever AI in a season. Also I can attend the course free of charge any time I want. AI does take commitment. If you don't think you can commit the time then wait till you can. Other wise you will waste a lot of time and money.

fit2btied":2q32djbi said:
ArrowHBrand":2q32djbi said:
...However, a bull is a worry free way to make sure your cows get bred, but they are a whole different animal personality wise. Good luck!
Not always true. We bought a new bull last fall to use this spring. We turned him in with the cows the first weekend in April. We saw him breed 2 different cows within an hour of being turned out, and often all summer, so he was trying to do his job. Had to have one of his back feet worked on in July. Hauled 16 head to the vet the middle of August, and 13 of 16 checked open, the other 3 were called 'barely bred'. We bought one bull and leased another to try to get everything covered ASAP. The breeder stood behind him and we traded him for another bull - but that involved a 6 hour trip each way. I also think I would try to find someone to AI for me with just 4 head. One of the dairymen around here does a lot of AI work for others. He stocks semen from a few Black Angus bulls, but if you have other specific bulls you are interested in, he will order the semen for you.

That is a good point but before buying a bull you should have fertility and motility tests done on his semen. In all of my years I've never had a bull that didn't get the job done.

Latest posts