Beginner looking for answers

Help Support CattleToday:

J.Robinson

Reaction score
Hi all I am looking for some good informational material on getting started. For things like regular feeding good begginer cattle for beef, how much room do I need. (acers) I am looking for neccesitys for now I was thinking of starting with maybe 3 to 5 just to get my feet wet but with intentions of growing in the future. Equipment needs and buildings as well. Vet care and cleaning as well. and anything else I might need. that I havent thought of. Wich I am sure there is much more as I said I am a novice. I was also thinking of going to a nearby ranch and offering to help for knowledge. Would that be something that is done very often. I thought that might be a good way to get some experience. also should I start with feeders or full grown or maybe something in between.

J.Robinson":2zg8p1bo said:
Hi all I am looking for some good informational material on getting started. For things like regular feeding good begginer cattle for beef, how much room do I need. (acers) I am looking for neccesitys for now I was thinking of starting with maybe 3 to 5 just to get my feet wet but with intentions of growing in the future. Equipment needs and buildings as well. Vet care and cleaning as well. and anything else I might need. that I havent thought of. Wich I am sure there is much more as I said I am a novice. I was also thinking of going to a nearby ranch and offering to help for knowledge. Would that be something that is done very often. I thought that might be a good way to get some experience. also should I start with feeders or full grown or maybe something in between.

You are more than welcome to come down here for some OJT. I will teach you all I know (questioned by some),treat you well, and will charge only the minimal fee. You need a bus ticket? ;-)

certherfbeef":r03aysuu said:
Mike, he is alot closer to me. I'll pick him up. ;-) :D

That's a dirty underhanded trick there cert. :lol: :lol:

Don't let him put the bales in the creek! ;-)

MikeC":3tb1s57n said:
certherfbeef":3tb1s57n said:
Mike, he is alot closer to me. I'll pick him up. ;-) :D

That's a dirty underhanded trick there cert. :lol: :lol:

Don't let him put the bales in the creek! ;-)

:D I'll let him have great hands on experience with calving. He can have his own horse, beer cooler, and flash light!!

In all seriousness,

stocking rates will vary depending on where in IN you are. Might be easiest to start with stockers then graduate to a 3 in 1. Of course I'll suggest a hereford for docility (and I deliver ;-) ) but we take a bit of a hit at the stock yards for the RWF.

You mean the bales dont go in the creek? :lol: I wasnt really thinking of paying to help but if thats what it takes where do I sign :lol: thanks for the laughs even if they were at my expense.

Wondering what part of the state you are in? Might be able to hook you up with a "mentor" that is close to home.

These forums are a great source for information. And the daily chuckle. :D

Ask all the questions you need here. But you are gonna have to be specific to get a good answer.

Also might try the county extention agent. Ours here arn't worth a hoot but hopefull your's will have an abundance of reading information.

Im in northwest IN Hebron to be exact. small town. Between Valpo and Crown Point. about an hour or so from Chicago. As far as being specific about what Im asking for I dont know much about what Im asking to be specific. thanks for the mentor Idea. That would be something I would like to check out. I am not starting anything right now more of just finding facts and info to make an informed decision. I also noticed a post earlier about the " Master cattlemans course " is that something you might think helpful or is it Kinda like some of the mechanic seminars Ive been to a big sales pitch.

J.Robinson":1nzt4soy said:
Im in northwest IN Hebron to be exact. small town. Between Valpo and Crown Point. about an hour or so from Chicago. As far as being specific about what Im asking for I dont know much about what Im asking to be specific. thanks for the mentor Idea. That would be something I would like to check out. I am not starting anything right now more of just finding facts and info to make an informed decision. I also noticed a post earlier about the " Master cattlemans course " is that something you might think helpful or is it Kinda like some of the mechanic seminars Ive been to a big sales pitch.

Spend some hours surfing through the past post on here. Just go backwards reading the beginners post look for subjects that seem like they fit the questions you want. Then do searches on subjects like "How many head per acre" After hours of reading then. Post some specific questions and the answers, debates and Jokes will come a flying.

Welcome to the board!

I'm relatively new to cattle as well. I guess getting started in the worst drought since 1956 is a good way to get your feet wet. LOL! When you get started, you'll want to go out and buy some stock right now. Don't do it! Get your fences in shape, get a sweep or some way to handle your stock and get all the necessities like water, bunk feeders etc. If you have any money left, then buy your stock. Good luck and welcome to the board.

Welcome! I'm in north central Indiana, so at least I have some knowledge of what climate your dealing with, as well as soil conditions. Might have missed it in the original post, but do you have land now? Most of the land around here, as well as your area is row-crop and most guys would sell their grandma for an extra acre. I would suggest, as have others to check the local extension office (pretty decent in IN) and spent a lot of time reading old posts. Let the list know what you have in the way of land, fence, barns, water and equipment, then folks can be of more help.

Latest posts