Beginner Beef

Help Support CattleToday:

Jason W

Reaction score
I am considering buying a calf or two to raise and butcher. for my family and a few friends. and I think it would be a good experience for my 2 boys( and me). I have a little over an acre to pasture right now. and I have access to plenty of hay and a good price on feed. what do you reccommend , Im leaning towards Black baldy's. I know my friend goes to the sale barn and buys calves that are black or black with white faces, would these be a good start or do you reccommend something else.

Black Baldies are good make sure they are half purebred Angus & purebred hereford not the look alikes. Because if they are they will have good meat.
Ellie May

I think there are good beef in all breeds. It is up to the purebred industry to idenify the good ones. (Tenderness & taste). Some breeds are easier to raise than others and will do better in certain areas. But all breeds have good animals.

So , make sure they are half and half,(F-1 ?), pretty hard to do that at the sale barn I'll bet. Maybe I will find someone local that will sell me one or two, then Ill know what im getting

If you can find a farmer who wants to sell a couple feeders, thats a good start. You might check with the feed stores, they might give you some names. We have aways purchased from a farm vice the auction. Seems like there are alot of posts about sale barn illness, but I have no experience. Animals with a good disposition and good fences are a real plus. Around here in S. IL you could raise a couple on an acre with hay and feed supplement. Good Luck!

Ellie May":2c7hc6gq said:
Black Baldies are good make sure they are half purebred Angus & purebred hereford not the look alikes. Because if they are they will have good meat.
Ellie May

Ellie Mae
I am proud of you.You have finally learned thar "POLLED HEREFORDS"
are not GODS only gift to True Beef Cattle. Sorry that I had to come
down so hard on you a few times, but there are other breeds out there
that are proven to be of better quality than your precious Polled Herefords
I would much rather you on here"posting" and learning about Agriculture
than running the streets,doing dope and sex at your age or any age for
that matter.
Again, My Apoligies

For a small operation as you describe with the purpose of just raising your own and not selling at the local stockyard but eating you cannot beat Pinzgauer. They are docile, easy keepers, very few health problems, live in all climates and produce the best beef you can get bar none visit my web page here at Cattletoday Circle Red S

for your personal beef I will suggest straight Simmental or a Continental-English cross as Limousin-Angus or Charolais-Angus

Jason W":lgfutszs said:
I am considering buying a calf or two to raise and butcher. for my family and a few friends. and I think it would be a good experience for my 2 boys( and me). I have a little over an acre to pasture right now. and I have access to plenty of hay and a good price on feed. what do you reccommend , Im leaning towards Black baldy's. I know my friend goes to the sale barn and buys calves that are black or black with white faces, would these be a good start or do you reccommend something else.

Latest posts