Before and After

Help Support CattleToday:

ilfarmer92":2hygil34 said:
just because your purebred herd is purebred doesnt mean its been line bred. Even fullblood breeds practice line breeding.

I never said any of that.... I'm sorry, that post is terribly inconsistent.

A lot of Aussie Shorthorn herds have a fair bit of 'linebreeding' in them, doesn't mean inidviduals need to agree with that. there are also alot of other herds which have maintained great genetic diversity whilst still remaining purebred.

Your post is extremely confusing.

cattlemom":2m0wh0ho said:
Isn't it just about having good cattle? I really wouldn't care if one was purple as long as it has the traits I'm looking for. Isn't crossbreeding done usually to bring about the best traits of both breeds to improve your herd? I don't think the associations are wrong for recognizing that adding a little different blood isn't always going to hurt your cattle.

I think we just show by breeds to give more people a chance to compete. I like the Supreme Heifer drives because then you can look at the best of the best in every breed. If I can't take one out in a breed show that will compete in the overall position I don't really like to take her out.

It is indeed about having good cattle, but, if you are breeding a particular breed, make sure that is what you are actually breeding. Don't crossbreed and then try to pass off the offspring as pure, or % pure, cattle, because it's just not cricket!!

If an animal is good, I don't care if it's crossbred, but don't try to tell me it's been 'bred up' or some cr@p like that. Promote your animal for what it is, not what it isn't.

BACK TO THE HEIFER

She needs some feed. I think she'll clean up nicely. Not a GC but a decent local calf. Love the amount of hair on her. Would like to see her after she's been clipped/fitted

Killala":3gmiip9z said:
cattlemom":3gmiip9z said:
Isn't it just about having good cattle? I really wouldn't care if one was purple as long as it has the traits I'm looking for. Isn't crossbreeding done usually to bring about the best traits of both breeds to improve your herd? I don't think the associations are wrong for recognizing that adding a little different blood isn't always going to hurt your cattle.

I think we just show by breeds to give more people a chance to compete. I like the Supreme Heifer drives because then you can look at the best of the best in every breed. If I can't take one out in a breed show that will compete in the overall position I don't really like to take her out.

It is indeed about having good cattle, but, if you are breeding a particular breed, make sure that is what you are actually breeding. Don't crossbreed and then try to pass off the offspring as pure, or % pure, cattle, because it's just not cricket!!

If an animal is good, I don't care if it's crossbred, but don't try to tell me it's been 'bred up' or some cr@p like that. Promote your animal for what it is, not what it isn't.

Killala, honestly I'm done here. If you want to go on and on about this contact some of the Breed Assoc. in America. Its not like just 50/50.... if its a purebred maine then its majority blood is Maine Anjou. If its a purebred limousin then its majority blood is Limousin. If its a purebred Charolais then its majority blood is Charolais. On and on.

In 1839 the Count de Falloux, a landowner, imported Durham cattle from England and crossed them with the French Mancelle. The cross was extremely successful, and by 1850, Durham-Mancelle animals were winning championships at the French agricultural fairs. In 1908, the Society of Durham-Mancelle Breeders was formed at Chateau-Gontier in the Mayenne district. In 1909, the name was changed to the Society of Maine-Anjou Cattle Breeders, taking the name from the Maine and Anjou River valleys.

These "Fullbloods" were a true Golden Certified FI cross. I can't see a problem considering a registerd animal with 3/16 or less "other" blood as "Purebred", regardless of color or pattern. As mentioned, all breeds have been infiltrated.

FYI: The heifer pictured is the same as the Avatar. The comments about her so far have been very interesting.

Killala":3ftklxdn said:
What you're saying is just like what some people call 'line breeding'. And it's only called line breeding when it works.
Just so you know, line breeding is when you breed to more distant relatives, or back to stock from the same bloodline. Inbreeding would be breeding full brother to full sister or daughter to father, etc.

Jay

I think she'll look pretty nice when you doll her up.. I'm looking forward to those pictures as well.

Happy Thanksgiving to all of you!

Jay

jaydill":ehyh0uqt said:
Killala":ehyh0uqt said:
What you're saying is just like what some people call 'line breeding'. And it's only called line breeding when it works.
Just so you know, line breeding is when you breed to more distant relatives, or back to stock from the same bloodline. Inbreeding would be breeding full brother to full sister or daughter to father, etc.

Jay
Your interpretation is obviously different to ours.
I think we should agree to disagree.

Latest posts