Before and After

Help Support CattleToday:

AAOK

Reaction score
Just currious to see what everyone thinks of this heifer now, and then again in 2,3,4, or 5 weeks after I have her clipped and purdy. She is a Purebred Maine-Anjou, 6 months to the day in this picture. Let 'er rip!

2006SpringSummerCalves007.jpg

in america maines are black... just as about every other cow :D ... i think she could be nice if you worked with her a bit.

ilfarmer92":18olkn20 said:
in america maines are black... just as about every other cow :D ... i think she could be nice if you worked with her a bit.

Except for RED POLLS!!!

I am not a show person so my opinion really doesn't count. Personally, she wouldn't be my choice as a retained heifer (potential momma). Clean her up though and show some pictures and let the show people weigh in. Good luck. Boone

Australian Cattleman":332jcl5u said:
If only to see a red and white Maine Anjou. She'll look a lot different once she's clipped and fed up. Looks like an Angus or a black Galloway at the moment. Do you have any of the proper coloured MA's?

She is proper colored. 92.5% Maine-Anjou

I started in Maines with Red & White purebreds in 1989. I've never owned a Fullblood. At that time, is was hard to find a Black heifer in the Show Ring, but many show steers were already black. By 1993, it was getting hard to win with a red, spotted or solid. We lost our last Red & White in 2001. She was only a 6 year old but suffered a broken back while being mounted.

Thank you for your comments.

Australian Cattleman":2l6rp710 said:
92.5% is a crossbred. Here in Australia you cannot show an animal unless its 100%. The only exception would be a breed that has been developed and is a registered breed. It still saddens me to see the traditional breeds being corrupted by the black mafia.

92.5% must be a crossbred in australia then. In america its purebred. Most associations allow "breeding up". Some like it some dont. It's each Breed Assoc. choice. Lets just say Im glad the AHA doesnt allow it ;-)

Australian Cattleman":3qp5urec said:
92.5% is a crossbred. Here in Australia you cannot show an animal unless its 100%. The only exception would be a breed that has been developed and is a registered breed. It still saddens me to see the traditional breeds being corrupted by the black mafia.

Amen to that Colin!!!

ilfarmer92":28iv9onl said:
Australian Cattleman":28iv9onl said:

92.5% must be a crossbred in australia then. In america its purebred. Most associations allow "breeding up". Some like it some dont. It's each Breed Assoc. choice. Lets just say Im glad the AHA doesnt allow it ;-)

The AMAA classifies any registered calf, bull or cow, over 75% as purebred. Bulls once had to be at least 87.5%, but the percentage was changed to the same as cows.

The AHA & AAA boast about being fullblood breeds, but facts show the Galloway to be the only breed "assumed" never infiltrated by crossbreeding. In the late 70s and early 80s the U.S. Hereford and Angus were losing popularity due to the increasing number of continental breeds, and BIG cattle. Enter the crossbreeding of Chianina and Simmental into the big two. The Maine-Anjou provided at least one bull, when bred to Angus, whose offspring would bloodtype fullblood Angus every time.

Color doesn't really matter to me. My cattle business is just for fun. The goal is to produce great Maine-Anjou Show Heifers. The other 7.5% of the Heifer pictured is a combination of Gert, Milking Shorthorn, Chi, and Angus. She could just as easily been colored Orange and Blue.

I'll be very sceptical about using US sires of some breeds if this is allowed. Seems like you have little chance of purchasing a true purebred or fullblood from the US or Canada. This very much saddens me. Hang in there the UK you may be our last saviour for true pure breeds and Australia.The Maine Anjou society must be pretty haphazardly run if they don't push to have the maximum amount of their breed. You can't call a 75% content animal an asset to instill the best of the breed in to the offspring.

Australian Cattleman":3hwyui8i said:
I'll be very sceptical about using US sires of some breeds if this is allowed. Seems like you have little chance of purchasing a true purebred or fullblood from the US or Canada. This very much saddens me. Hang in there the UK you may be our last saviour for true pure breeds and Australia.The Maine Anjou society must be pretty haphazardly run if they don't push to have the maximum amount of their breed. You can't call a 75% content animal an asset to instill the best of the breed in to the offspring.

This is just sad. I dont get why you are throwing a fit because some American Breed Associations allowing breeding up.

ilfarmer92":jb9xztzp said:
Australian Cattleman":jb9xztzp said:

This is just sad. I dont get why you are throwing a fit because some American Breed Associations allowing breeding up.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

It's not 'breeding up', it's crossbreeding :x

What you're saying is just like what some people call 'line breeding'. And it's only called line breeding when it works.

Killala":3r6u949e said:
ilfarmer92":3r6u949e said:
Australian Cattleman":3r6u949e said:

:shock: :shock: :shock:

It's not 'breeding up', it's crossbreeding :x

What you're saying is just like what some people call 'line breeding'. And it's only called line breeding when it works.

Ok let me try this again. You CROSSBREED, then you start "breeding up" to purebred status (whichever % the assoc. has set). Correct me if I'm wrong, but line breeding involves breeding to relation, and just because your purebred herd is purebred doesnt mean its been line bred. Even fullblood breeds practice line breeding.

Isn't it just about having good cattle? I really wouldn't care if one was purple as long as it has the traits I'm looking for. Isn't crossbreeding done usually to bring about the best traits of both breeds to improve your herd? I don't think the associations are wrong for recognizing that adding a little different blood isn't always going to hurt your cattle.

I think we just show by breeds to give more people a chance to compete. I like the Supreme Heifer drives because then you can look at the best of the best in every breed. If I can't take one out in a breed show that will compete in the overall position I don't really like to take her out.

cattlemom":1ooaoue4 said:
Isn't it just about having good cattle? I really wouldn't care if one was purple as long as it has the traits I'm looking for.

Good point, to be anti black is just as bad as being only black. I could care less about what color something is, unless it makes a difference for say heat resistance.

This is a show board and the purpose is to discuss show animals and the biggest part of show animals here in the U.S. are black.

Debating the color of Maine cattle or others sounds like a good conversation over on Breeds Board, but I think it has been done a few times.

As far as the heifer, I like some things and do not like some things about her. Basically I like the front end and not so much the back. Might be a little high in the flank. But I await the original purpose of the thread, to see the change that will be made once she is fitted and fed out some.

She looks like what a good heifer calf that isn't fattened up on too much creep feed is supposed to look like. We have a pasture full of them also. Somebody used to looking at fat show heifers wouldn't think they amounted to much, but they can make you money in many ways.

I don't understand what makes Austrailia the authority on cattle breeds. Or England for that matter. ;-) Americans tend to be on the practical side without worrying too much about proper lineage - bovine or human. So it should be no surprise that we select cattle on results.

Everything was a cross breed once upon a time. Breeds like Maine-Anjou et al do what is necessary to keep up with what the market demands. The very reason that you praise Herefords for not allowing any outside blood in is the very reason that you can't hardly find a pasture full of them anymore - they didn't keep up with the times. Angus can pretend all they want, but they have more than a little outside blood also. If you buy "commercial" angus from a big angus breeder you will find lots of individuals that have incorrect coloration markings show up.

AAOK - I bet know which bull you are talking about that would test Angus. He used to sire lots of good steers and one of his daughters with white legs raised the champion angus steer at Houston a couple of years ago. They would never admit it, but kudos to the Angus breeders for doing whatever they had to in order to get some muscling into their cattle relative to 20-30 years ago.

You can easily tell the difference between a "purebred" solid black Maine and an Angus. They are very distinctive breeds and in my opinion serve two very different functions.

chambero":3kdolmrs said:
She looks like what a good heifer calf that isn't fattened up on too much creep feed is supposed to look like. We have a pasture full of them also. Somebody used to looking at fat show heifers wouldn't think they amounted to much, but they can make you money in many ways.

I don't understand what makes Austrailia the authority on cattle breeds. Or England for that matter. ;-) Americans tend to be on the practical side without worrying too much about proper lineage - bovine or human. So it should be no surprise that we select cattle on results.

Everything was a cross breed once upon a time. Breeds like Maine-Anjou et al do what is necessary to keep up with what the market demands. The very reason that you praise Herefords for not allowing any outside blood in is the very reason that you can't hardly find a pasture full of them anymore - they didn't keep up with the times. Angus can pretend all they want, but they have more than a little outside blood also. If you buy "commercial" angus from a big angus breeder you will find lots of individuals that have incorrect coloration markings show up.

AAOK - I bet know which bull you are talking about that would test Angus. He used to sire lots of good steers and one of his daughters with white legs raised the champion angus steer at Houston a couple of years ago. They would never admit it, but kudos to the Angus breeders for doing whatever they had to in order to get some muscling into their cattle relative to 20-30 years ago.

You can easily tell the difference between a "purebred" solid black Maine and an Angus. They are very distinctive breeds and in my opinion serve two very different functions.

Good Post!

Latest posts