Beets and or turnips for cattle feed

Help Support CattleToday:

I'm tossing around the idea of Growing Sugar Beets and or Turnips to supplement my steers im fattening, to butcher for my own consumption. I priced beet pulp from my local feed stores and it's $30 to $34 a hundred pounds.

Lots of food value and economics reports out there. NDSU has published a number of them.

Issue is raw beets are a high moisture/low fiber feed, and putting more than 10 to 15% in a cattle ration can increase "rate of passage" and they will **** like a goose. :shock: Then they do not get the expected value from feed.

Ok thank you for the response, I may use it as a partial feed, ? If I think it's worth it for my situation. I'm sure it is if it's available in large quantities in your area. I don't know where to start in my area unless I grow my own?🤔

I grow turnips every year. Cattle were slow to eat them at first. After they got started, they like them. I have had a cow choke on one of the bulbs, but she got it out before I got a rope on her.

Barkant are a good greens turnip, but purple tops you can find at just about any farm store, or seed dealer. 3-4#/acres is enough.

kenny thomas said:
Hereford2 said:
Thank you for the info! 👍 Are you saying 3 to 4 pounds of seeds an acre?

At 170,000 seed per lb that's a lot of turnips.
At 4# per acre that's 680,000 turnips per acre.

If just broadcasting without working, you'll lose a pound. The higher pop makes the globes smaller, and more greens.
If you want bigger globes for breaking up compaction, or blending with with other crops, 2-3# will do.

Plus you have to figure in your neighbors, and your consumption rate. :lol:

Latest posts