Beet Pulp

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Anyone feeding beet pulp to thier horses? I am really looking in to this and want any information and opinions I can get.

beet pulp is something we feed to the bulls close to finishing, but if it's in dry pellet form you can give it to the horses. not too much though, because it's too high in protein for them. i've never fed it, but i would think that for lactating horses it wouldn't be too bad. but my advise is on't feed it unless you already buy it in large quantities for cattle. it's not better then anything alse on the market.

[email protected]

Show cattle people feed beet pulp to 'fill in' cattle. Beet pulp does not have much nutritional value, however, it does slow down the digestive process. Remember, the longer that nutrients are in the animals body, the longer their bodies can take advantage of the ingredients. I know some horse people that add beet pulp to their normal rations for their older horses. Beet pulp can be fed dry or some producers choose to soak it in warm water prior to feeding (it puffs up and looks like shredded cardboard). Cattle love it so I assume that horses would also. The high sugar content could possibly cause bloating or colic symptoms when fed in large quantities. Beet pulp is relatively inexpensive and can be purchased for approx $7-8.00 per 50 lbs depending where you are from.

[email protected]

I go over and read the posts on <A HREF="http://www.ruralheritage.com" TARGET="_blank">www.ruralheritage.com</A> in the Vet Clinic. The site is mostly about espm (or is it epsm), a disorder some horses are diagnosed with, but there is excellent nutritional information there. You can read for free, but have to be a subscriber to post on the boards.

> Anyone feeding beet pulp to thier
> horses? I am really looking in to
> this and want any information and
> opinions I can get.

Latest posts