Beet Pulp and/or Purina Depth Charge

Help Support CattleToday:

UncleLA

Reaction score
I have always fed beet pulp to the show heifers. I just realized my feed store also carries the Purina Depth Charge.
Do you feed beet pulp and depth charge at the same time?
If so, what percentages.
If not, do you just feed depth charge? I quickly read the bag tonight and I think it indicated 1-2 pounds per day per head.
Any experienced comments are appreciated!

We are not as experienced as most on this board, but we have used both products.

Because of the protein, we use the recommended amount of depth charge, if we need more muscling and to drop the flank. We use beet pulp to help fill in the belly area, so she looks full or if we need to stretch out her belly to make room for more feed intake.

We always feed the recommended amount of depth charge, and adjust the beet pulp by the result we are looking for.

Not sure if this helps, but its what we do.

Looks like the "Depth Charge" has almost the exact nutrient densities as beet pulp. Betcha the beet pulp is less expensive and will give the same results.

The best way to find out is take equal amounts of each product (like 1 cup), and add equal amounts of water (like 1 cup), and see how much they expand. I can pretty much guarantee the depth charge will expand MORE than the beet pulp.
We feed rumafill, which is similar to depth charge, but gives three times the fill. We feed the daily recommended amount with the grain during show season to help expand and give fill. On show days we double the amount, and hold water until an hour before the exhibition time. It really gives them a deep, round fill and helps. Rumafill is actually cheaper than beet pulp, so it works out great for us.

Fire Sweep Ranch":20hy72io said:
The best way to find out is take equal amounts of each product (like 1 cup), and add equal amounts of water (like 1 cup), and see how much they expand. I can pretty much guarantee the depth charge will expand MORE than the beet pulp.
We feed rumafill, which is similar to depth charge, but gives three times the fill. We feed the daily recommended amount with the grain during show season to help expand and give fill. On show days we double the amount, and hold water until an hour before the exhibition time. It really gives them a deep, round fill and helps. Rumafill is actually cheaper than beet pulp, so it works out great for us.

What say we don't do the "1 cup" thing but go by weight. Equal amounts by weight. A cup of beet pulp is much lighter than a cup of pellets. I think you'll find that nothing gives fill like pure beet pulp. All the others are partial beet pulp with additives. I'll then take the bet and will accept your findings on "the honor system".

TB, it not about WEIGHT but about expansion (so maybe 1 cup should have been defined as 1 pound, which is what we did). It is a lot harder to get a heifer to eat 5 pounds of beet pulp (large space taken up) versus 5 pounds of depth charge (hardly a scoop). The purpose of feeding it is to give a deep, big full look. Beet pulp does not expand like the depth charge, or Rumafill. The point of the product is to get as much in them as you can dry, and then allow them to drink drink drink to allow the product to expand about an hour before your class. Lots of cattle will not eat as much beet pulp as they will the other fill products out there. I have fed both, and feed both, in different situations. When you are talking about show cattle, you are a completely different beast (not what is cheap, but what works best for your money). Look in any show barn that has numerous wins under their belt, and there is going to be a fill product BESIDES beet pulp there. There is a reason people are using it, because it works.
I would hope our numerous State Fair wins gives me a bit of credibility when it comes to feeding cattle, at least show cattle. The poster simple asked who used it and how... I was simply giving our experience.

Fire Sweep Ranch":2mps9obj said:
TB, it not about WEIGHT but about expansion (so maybe 1 cup should have been defined as 1 pound, which is what we did). It is a lot harder to get a heifer to eat 5 pounds of beet pulp (large space taken up) versus 5 pounds of depth charge (hardly a scoop). The purpose of feeding it is to give a deep, big full look. Beet pulp does not expand like the depth charge, or Rumafill. The point of the product is to get as much in them as you can dry, and then allow them to drink drink drink to allow the product to expand about an hour before your class. Lots of cattle will not eat as much beet pulp as they will the other fill products out there. I have fed both, and feed both, in different situations. When you are talking about show cattle, you are a completely different beast (not what is cheap, but what works best for your money). Look in any show barn that has numerous wins under their belt, and there is going to be a fill product BESIDES beet pulp there. There is a reason people are using it, because it works.
I would hope our numerous State Fair wins gives me a bit of credibility when it comes to feeding cattle, at least show cattle. The poster simple asked who used it and how... I was simply giving our experience.
I fully understand the purpose of feeding it and the affects inside the animal. I'm simply saying if you're going to compare the ability of each to expand use equal weights. You yourself said it was hard to get her to eat it (more space taken up)...that's the purpose. You can also get beet pulp in pellets which would be much more dense like the pelleted product you're now using.

Thanks for all the comments.

In South Louisiana, I am getting 40 pound bags of shredded beat pulp for $18.99. I am getting 25 pound bags of Depth Charge for $11.50.

We have always fed beet pulp year round. Nearing show season we increase the beet pulp. It does add a lot more bulk to the feed which requires the heifers to eat a lot more volume. When you are pushing a heifer, it is hard to get them to eat the additional beet pulp. However, if a heifer is on a "holding ration", they tend to eat anything that you put in front of them; hence, they clean up the beat pulp as well.

I have begun to feed half the recommended ration of Depth Charge, IN ADDITION, to the beet pulp that we have been feeding. The Depth Charge seems to have a great smell and the heifers seem to like it.

I honestly am not 100% certain the Depth Charge is making a noticeable difference; however, it is likely due to the fact that I have not been feeding it but for 2-3 weeks.

Thanks again for the comments.

I don't mean to be hijacking your post, but when feeding beet pulp, how many lbs. do you recommend feeding a day as part of their feed ration? I have a couple show heifers that i feed it to and i am still not sure what would be the proper amount to feed them. % of ration, or __lbs per day?

Thanks

Sometimes when we get to a show and the stock didn't want their feed..they seem to always eat the depth charge..

RoppFamilyFarm
When using it to get some fill on them but not holding them, we feed about 20 to 30% dry beet pulp by volume, Hate to use the old 3 pound coffee can reference but if they or getting 3 -4 coffee cans (depending on feed that could be 9 to 14 pounds feed) a feeding we will add one can of beet pulp, about 2 pounds.

Latest posts