Bees

Help Support CattleToday:

tsmaxx47

Reaction score
anyone with experience with bees? can the hive body and supers be made with cedar?

tsmaxx47":2gcus7dt said:
anyone with experience with bees? can the hive body and supers be made with cedar?
Don't know a whole lot about bees but I support several hives with the honey I buy.

Don't see why not. Pine is probably your most commonly used wood, I have a couple made from pine which I just treat with linseed oil once a year. Cedar is a good wood to use as it has it's own natural oils, does not warp as easily as pine and is durable.

tsmaxx47":q59ri403 said:
disregard question, please. after some research I learned the answer is yes. hive parts and supers can be made of either white or red cedar.

Rossman's in Georgia sells cedar hive bodies. In my opinion you can get just as much use out of pine with a coat of primer and paint on it but if I wanted a natural looking hive I'd jump on their stuff as I've been told it is well worth the money.

Might want to check out "Mann Lake" beekeeping supplies... they sell anything you need, and lots you don't.

We just resurected our hive last year... we haven't had bees in about 16 years and we're getting back into it

Mann lake has amazing products and customer service. For small extraction equipment, maxant is the best....US made.

Nesikep,
May I put forth a recommendation?

... Destroy your old frames by burning and scorch your boxes before you start. When frames are brood frames, consider them worthless. The wax could harbor diseases like AFB even if they haven't seen bees in a while.

...16 years is a long time and a lot has changed. The diseases and mites are relentless. Read up on the varroa mite and it's destruction. Aptly named the varroa destructor for a reason. That little pest takes down a hive on two fronts. On the adults by puncturing the cuticle and sucking bee "blood" effectively reducing the life span. On the larva, reproducing in the cells, feeding on the larva, defecating in the cell and vectoring in viruses like deformed wing and shortening the life span of the bee.

We realize that, but we didn't lose the hive because of a disease, they didn't have enough ventilation through a bad winter and got wet. Since we got new bees again they've been doing fine... it's been nearly a year, we have mite traps and don't show any getting stuck to them. So far there hasn't been AFB, or worse, European FB in our area.. thankfully. We wouldn't have started with brood frames we didn't know the history of. If we get a second hive, we'll need more supplies, and we'll either build new supers ourselves or buy new ones. There is a radiation sterilization service available for used equipment as well if you want to go that route.

nesikep - elaborate on the radiation sterilization. I wasn't aware the service was commercially available.....

I had bees till my bull ate them and almost killed him
KEEP THE CATTLE AWAY FROM THE BEE HIVES